Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do I have a leg to stand on…
  • ali69er
    Free Member

So, crossed over yesterday and bought a spesh roubaix. So, after only 40km the chain pin where they join the chain worked its way loose, got snarled in the front mech and pulled chain up into the frame causing a small scuff to the chainstay.

I don’t think this is my fault and clearly a fail on either their behalf in not fitting the pin correctly or shimano’s. Should I push to not only get the chain repaired at their expense, but also the frame touched up?

Never had one of these issues before so not sure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good luck….

Shimano will have a no consequential loss clause
    Is the chain dead or just need rejoined?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Their fault but no idea how you will prove this

Rorschach
    Free Member

Saves you a job.
    Go to the shop.
    Be nice.
    Get it fixed.
    And get a freebie or two.
    Win.

ali69er
    Free Member

The pin is still there, but I just think they should sort it. I could do it myself. Sadly, I didn’t have a chain tool with me when I was an hours ride from home.

spooky_b329

If you are going to take it in, might as well get them to check the mech hanger is still straight.

Think yourself lucky it didn’t bend the hanger, snap the mech and take out half the spokes!

gavstorie
    Free Member

serves you right for buying a road bike.. Just sayin 🙂

ken_shields
    Free Member

Do this

Rorschach – Member
    Saves you a job.
    Go to the shop.
    Be nice.
    Get it fixed.
    And get a freebie or two.
    Win.

Be grateful this didn’t happen

spooky_b329 – Member

Think yourself lucky it didn’t bend the hanger, snap the mech and take out half the spokes!

legend
    Free Member

Remember that “they” were the factory in Taiwan rather than the shop the did the final bits n pieces

Davesport

40 clicks & it’s broken. Well, my approach would be to fix it myself & double check everything else in the process. However, this is a sale of goods issue & returning it to the shop that you purchased it from would be appropriate. If two months on you find “something” wrong related to the chain snapping & haven’t told them then you won’t have a leg to stand on.

hora
    Free Member

How could the shop have foreseen that?! How is it their fault. See what they say though as I doubt the bike was cheep!

BigDummy
    Free Member

a small scuff to the chainstay

If it isn’t structural, I’d do a small sad, and then not worry too much. Worse will happen at some point that will be no-one’s fault at all. I’d had my last shiney, new roadbike for about 2 weeks before I laid it down in a corner and gave it a good scuffing.

🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Take it back and ask very nicely if they would check the bike over. Explain what happened and just ask if they wouldn’t mind touching the paint up. I wouldn’t go in guns a blazin’.. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

As above, take it back, explain what happened and ask them to rectify.

The shop staff will ask you if you had the chain on big-big. That shouldn’t break it but you didn’t did you?

kcal

I didn’t have a chain tool with me

– ah, the old roadie travels light gag, which is fine until something goes wrong..

eshershore
    Free Member

As a previous poster mentioned, the shop does not fit the chain during the pre-sale build (PDI). It’s fitted on an assembly line in Taiwan.

The PDI on a Specialized bike involves cabling the brake/gears, fitting front wheel, seatpost, pedals, bars into stem, and setting up the bike.

You would be within your rights to ask the shop to change the chain for a new one (as the original failed) perhaps KMC, and the shop can easily get Specialized UK to credit them for this cost.

The mark to your frame is one of those things. Again you’d be within your rights to ask to have the bike replaced, but its going to get scratched sooner or later..I would not bother.

taxi25
    Free Member

Many years ago when I worked in a lb, checking the chain for stiff links, if fitted making sure the split link clip was fitted the right way round was part of the pdi.

cliffyc
    Free Member

I’d go back,explain what happened. See if they will touch-up the paint scratch and replace the chain with possibly better spec one. If it was a Shimano chain it should not have had a split link in it if fitted on the line at the factory. Keeping calm and not going off on one makes a heck of a difference. Take the shop boys a bag of Haribo when you pick it up too!. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do I have a leg to stand on…’ is closed to new replies.