Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do I go to the last stage of the tour.. on a bus?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Couple of friends have bought a bus ticket from Bristol to paris to see the last stage of the tour in paris

Leaves Brizzle at 5.30pm saturday and gets into paris at 8.45am sunday
    Then Levae 11pm sunday and arrive 10am monday

I’m kinda game but my GF just emailed with

Whoa. Have you ever spent 15 hours on an overnight bus? Two nights in a row?
    I have done it to the edinburgh festival with a break of three days between and it has left me vowing to never, ever, ever do it again! The feeling of desperation with the seat in front jamming into your knees as you still haven’t got to sleep at 4am, knowing that you can’t get off for another five hours… And that was with sleeping pills, headphones, eye mask, travel pillow and sleeping bag. I got half and hour’s sleep each way.

Any temptation to save myself money in the future by bus is quashed immediately by the terrifying flashbacks!

anyone done it?

IHN

I’d go for it. The drivers need to take regular breaks anyway, plus you’ll have the ferry, so you’re not going to be on the bus all the time.

I went to the Alps on a bus a few times, it wasn’t amazing but it was doable. Plus there’ll be a good atmosphere on the bus.

TiRed

Get a decent audiobook on your iPod. Son1 went down to the South of France overnight with the school, and I set him up with the Bourne Identity.

Drivers will be resting as their hours are fixed. Bristol to the chunnel will be worse than Calais to Paris.

We are going for the penultimate TT stage on the way through France.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’m unable to sleep on anything moving with an engine.

I’ve had sleepless nights in cars, buses, planes, trains, ferries, post boats, cargo boats, camper vans, trucks and rice delivery vans.

It’s horrible but I keep going back for more as I figure that, since I’ve made the decision to put myself through it, whatever I’m travelling towards must be worth it.

Brad in yellow, Cav going for a win? I would.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

You know the drivers swap in the middle of the night without stopping don’t you?

😉

NickScots
    Free Member

We got off the ferry at Calais and drove to Liege, got there at 2.20pm and saw the whole of the prologue at two points, then drove and camped at Bastogne.

We snowboarded till 1.30pm at Les Deux Alpes, drove 45mins then walked 22mins up to the top of the Col Du Glandon, timing !

It will be mobbed and ‘little britain’ if Wiggo is still in yellow.

Is it cheaper to get a flight ? the Train ? Certainly a lot easier.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve done Paris to Derby by bus overnight, the trick is to get yourself absolutely knackered before you set off, do plenty of exercise and don’t eat enough. That way you’re at least gaurenteed sleep on the way there.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

have you got details? how much does it cost?

trickydisco
    Free Member

£39 each way. Eurostar is over £300! not paying that

not sure on flight but can’t imagine it being that cheap.

Maybe a big ride on Saturday followed by loads of red wine 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe a big ride on Saturday followed by loads of red wine

I went backpacking round europe with a 45kg pack for 3 weeks, didn’t take much wine after that!

csb

Seen it standing on the wall of the Rue de Rivoli twice. You need to get there early and the riders whizz past about 10 times so fast that you don’t see their faces really, but it’s a fantastic atmosphere.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I went to paris a few years ago for the final stage. Not worth it imo, not unless you get there super early to get a good spot. All i could see was the saddle of the bikes on top of the support car. Mountain stage would be much better i reckon.

fourbanger
    Free Member

The feeling of desperation with the seat in front jamming into your knees as you still haven’t got to sleep at 4am, knowing that you can’t get off for another five hours… And that was with sleeping pills, headphones, eye mask, travel pillow and sleeping bag. I got half and hour’s sleep each way.

My GF has trouble sleeping in a double bed because it’s too hot/cold/noisy/quiet/light/dark etc. Don’t let her put you off going. Get on it!

Speshpaul

valium + gin + tonic, should see you there without even noticing.

binners

The feeling of desperation with the seat in front jamming into your knees as you still haven’t got to sleep at 4am, knowing that you can’t get off for another five hours… And that was with sleeping pills, headphones, eye mask, travel pillow and sleeping bag. I got half and hour’s sleep each way.

and should anything else take your fancy…..

flange
    Free Member

You know buses are for poor people right?

Seriously, I’d rather stab myself in the face than be on a bus for 30 hours over a weekend. With other people….nasty..

jambalaya
    Free Member

To say you were there at the finish when …. of course it’s worth it.

martymac

the drivers might need regular breaks, but the bus doesnt.
    they can stop, change drivers and be moving again in about 90 seconds, it would be 30 seconds, but takes a while to get tacho card out of machine.
    i dont fancy it tbh, but im not keen on big crowds.
    would defoe be an experience though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do I go to the last stage of the tour.. on a bus?’ is closed to new replies.