Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Do I go to a one bike for everything
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Is it a good idea to sell my dh bike, my alpine 160 and my Xc hard tail and get the new spicy 916 full carbon bike?

Rorschach
    Free Member

One bike that is average at evrything vs 3 bikes that are brilliant at one thing.
    Choices….

edoverheels
    Free Member

No

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way, stop reading the marketing crap.

br
    Free Member

No, as it will probably fail at excelling where each of those bikes succeed.

I’ve only one bike though, a 456Ti, but I don’t DH or race XC, but do ride.

graeme87
    Free Member

I’m not reading the marketing just really fancy a carbon full sus 160 and it would be light enough to dothe odd Xc race?

Weasel
    Free Member

Yes, cos I’m doing that.

One bike, one lot of maintenance, done.

Although the thought of a mountain bike plus a road bike does cross my mind at times. I’ll stick with off road for now, more fun.

fasthaggis

Yes,if you’re Martyn Ashton . 🙂

graeme87
    Free Member

Haha. I don’t fancy a road bike tho. I like the thought of only one bike to maintain.

69er
    Free Member

One bike, one lot of maintenance, done.

How is that any different to having four bikes then? You’d wear them out a 1/4 as fast if you rode them equally, so the same amount of maintenance…. 🙄

Now if you want a real lack of maintenance, get a fixie for the road (and off road if you’re really silly) and a s/s off road…

creaser
    Free Member

No more bike =more fun

br
    Free Member

I’m not reading the marketing just really fancy a carbon full sus 160 and it would be light enough to dothe odd Xc race?

Loose some weight off the Alpine?

nemtbroutes
    Free Member

Do you race?

Yes – keep the bikes
    No – Sell

(Consider a road bike for trainng though)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Nope. You need a pub bike as well as a, or several, proper bikes.
    Mine has stabilisers.

Mugboo

One bike means NO riding when it needs maintaining.

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback.

mafiafish
    Free Member

It depends, I used to run a prohpet and then a remedy as an all rounder but started doing more DHy stuff and found the Remedy a bit uncomfortable for that. But I also did do the odd XC race so decided to get a big bike (dune with 170mm forks) and a lightweight hardtail 29er for the odd trail centre ride/long distance rides or racing. For me, a carbon spicy on its own would probably be all right but if you’re wanting something that can race DH and XC at a reasonable level you’ll be left wanting I think, which isn’t good for an investment of that size!
    However, you would have a bike that could do the job of the alpine and 90% the job of the DH bike whist being a hell of a lot more versatile so it might be worth getting one and keeping the hardtail?
    EDIT: of course it depends on the relative value of the DH and XC bikes, you could sell the alpine and xc bike and get a zesty/remedy or sell the DH bike and Alpine and get a 160mm bike (and maybe some 170mm forks).

Trekster

All depends how long you intend sticking around Dumfries? I’ ve been riding my Blue Pig Mk1 for the past 3yrs here, the Peaks, Lakes and NY moors 😆 However my auld back is crying out for a fs of some sort 🙄
    Good hard tail would be my tip 💡 Followed by Transition Cover or Bullit or Jekyll 😆
    You free for a ride this week btw way? If not may have hill ride in the offing on 17/18th 💡

ourmaninthenorth

I own 4 bikes. Have been up at seven. Admittedly they were a combo of road/MTB/cross/track.

One is an ideal, but maintenance = no riding unless you have spare kit. That may be the answer.

graeme87
    Free Member

Trekster. Busy this week until Sunday when one of my pals is coming down for a ride, will keep u posted.

stevede
    Free Member

Op – i’d say as someone above touched upon, maybe chop in the alpine and the xc for something like a zesty, transition bandit, stumpy/stumpy evo and keep the dh bike.
    Although to me, your current bikes cover all bases and your alpine can cover the other 2 if they need working on and you seem to have it pretty sorted – just a new bike itch that you want to scratch maybe?

Trekster

Working this weekend 🙄
    With Ae just along the road and Inners only an hr and a bit away the DH bike should be a keeper I would have thought 💡 You will no doubt meet Tally from Upliftscotland at Mabie sometime

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Do I go to a one bike for everything’ is closed to new replies.