Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Do I go 10 speed?
  • spyke85
    Free Member

I guess it’s the perfect opportunity, need a new chain and cassette very soon on my bike and thinking should I change to 10 speed?

Would be using current chainset, 9 speed SLX double, and change to SLX 10 speed. What’s confusing me is all the shifters appear to be Ispec mounting? Am I missing one?

madeupname
    Free Member

yes and yes…

upgrade, no real reason except to do more fettling…

and you can get bar mount pair or RH only from ChainReaction, and probably elsewhere.

I only know as I am halfway doing the same as you are thinking of…

Next question will be do you want a clutch mech or not?

spyke85
    Free Member

Just been reading about different ways the mechs attach.
    Direct Mount using a B2 plate?!? What?!?

If I go clutch, I can ditch my chain device….hmmm

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Best thing about 10sp is being able to ditch the granny ring and front shifting gubbins.

Seen a few bikes with clutches and no lower guide. Tempting… But i have seen some issues that put me off.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I did ten speed on my bike this week and it feels great. Two by ten seems to do all i need with a simpler front mech set up. I was going to do SLX, but ended up doing XT, so have some SLX shift units for sale here

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1308936/

Email’s in profile if you’re interested. 🙂

seadog101

I was tempted to go to 1 x 10sp too. New bike came with 3 x 10, and I figured that I was rarely using the big and the granny. But, after a few longer hilltop rides, the granny was useful for the honking, and the big for the whizzing. So me thinks some sort of 2 x 10….?

But that means sticking with shifting gubbins up front. So might as well stick to 3 x 10 in the end.
    Or should I?
    😐

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Get a 32T up front (you’ll need to file some material of the spider if its not a dynasis crank). That will do you for any climbing, you’ll also get stronger and faster going up. If you find you spin out on the DH part (big cojones eh!) you just get more into pumping for speed, I found it more fun after dropping the 36T of my SLX and its all about looking for the pump, being smooth and carrying speed.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Just done it with XT, 9 speed triple Ultegra 12-32 cassette and a shadow+
    Its the best gear set up I’ve had for MTB in 20 years.
    Going double or single takes away either the low gears or the high gears unless you have a big spread.
    Run the triple to start and see what gears you use the most then change the front rings to suit where you ride and your riding style

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Do I go 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.