Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Do I drive a high end prestigious sports car?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

2003 Mazda 323f 2.0 petrol.

Reason I ask is my insurance is due early Dec so I thought I would start shopping around early and the cheapest quotes are coming in around £580 😯

Now I’m 30 and have held a license for 12 years. That’s with 9 years no claims too.

Pretty standard or is that amount taking the Michael?

legend
    Free Member

Live in an undesirable area by any chance?

matt_outandabout

Where are you living? That seems to have massive effect.

Simon

Car insurance is **** ridiculous these days 😐

porter_jamie

i looked on confused to find the most expensive car to insure, just for fun. m3, 350z, rs6, 911 etc. all 400 quid.

couldnt find anything that cost more than 400 quid fully comp, apart from a 100k rolls royce, which was 527.

my vw t2 2002, worth 2.5k? costs me 400 quid.

1.2 fiesta, 200 quid. i am 42, full ncb and live in essex, i didnt think it was a particularly good area tbh. i will try a few postcodes of properly bad areas, just to see.

loddrik
    Free Member

Diesel touran, 39, 14 yrs ncb, cheapest was £950. That was until I discovered that after not being insured as a main driver for over two years I have now completely lost my ncb altogether. I am now **** as I won’t be able to insure a car at all.

kevj
    Free Member

Saab 93 2.2Tid.

Driving for 15 years with 8 yrs NBC. 540 quid fully comp.

matt_outandabout

^ some of the local kids round here are buying cheapest moped they can, insuring for a couple of years post 17 (taxing, MOT’ing, but NEVER riding it) to build up NCD before the buy a car…
    (38, Touran Tdi, full NCD and £130 per year here…)

compositepro
    Free Member

the bag of shit i drive round in costs me 380 quid If i fill it with petrol its worth more than the car
    I live in the middle of an area where cattle theft is far more likely

My missus insurance is 180 quid, difference was she rang an insurance broker i got mugged off on confused

Im wondering how many people refusing to insure their cars and pay their VED it will take to make them buck their ideas up and drop the prices surely if everyone wasn’t insured they wouldnt have so many claims or whiplash injuries to fork out for

butcher

Insurance is expensive at the moment. It’s risen a lot in recent years, so it doesn’t sound altogether ridiculous.

I wasn’t happy with mine mind when I bought the current car. Sold a Japanese imported seriously fast car and purchased myself a bland and standard Honda Civic 1.6. Insurance turned out to be around £5 a month cheaper! Promptly phoned the insurance co. asking appropriate WTF questions, and they lowered the premiums significantly by raising the value of the car, as a lot of cheap motors are bought specifically to get into compensation claims with minimal initial outlay…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

BMW 2005 320d Touring live in rural central scotland, £440. 40 yr old 5 years no claims.

have you searched through the options that they add on, protection, breakdown cover etc?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Live in an undesirable area by any chance?

Where are you living? That seems to have massive effect.

In Cardiff and in what is probably considered one of the less salubrious areas I guess – though I think its fine – maybe I’ll try my parents home in Devon…

loddrik
    Free Member

Most of it is down to where you live, and more specifically how many personal injury claims there has been. I live in the area where this has been worst so insurance is highest.

Drac

Copied your details best I could and it’s £347 for me right up to £1647.

murf
    Free Member

Seems a bit steep, I’m 32 & my wrx Impreza is about £400 to insure. Oddly my 306 rallye isn’t much less.
    Insurance quotes seem to be fairly random!

ell_tell
    Free Member

What I find off though is that about 4 years ago I was paying £290 albeit on an old Laguna.

It seems to go up each year you don’t claim 🙁

dribbling
    Free Member

Copied your details best I could and it’s £347 for me right up to £1647

This is what I want politicians to sort out, and therefore, knowing the ultimate truth, why I don’t bother voting.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m 26, 8 years no claims and pay over 500 quid for a 1.6 Mitsubishi space star. I do a fair few miles, but still, its bloom I ridiculous how expensive insurance is nowadays.

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s a mystery to me.
    Quotes for me 1984 Porsche 944 £425, 2003 Hyundai Trajet £380. How?
    Best answer for you is probably area. My first car 1.6 Proton Person, 23 zero NCD and 3 points. Mate was 25 with a 1.2 Fiesta and 5 years NCD. Both cars worth £200 (on a good day). Me £620, him £1,200.
    Rural Lincolnshire and Battersea.
    Currently paying £360 for Transt T300, age 30 with 7yrs NCD.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Okay. Answering my own question now but Compare the Market confirms I obviously live in a sh1t hole.

Cheapest £640 at my actual address and £256 so a difference of nigh on £400. It would be cheaper to move! Or lie 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

High end? Prestigious?

MAZDA?

Eh? WTF?

br
    Free Member

Since insurance premiums are usually based on the risk, and the largest costs are personal injury – maybe drivers of little Mazda’s run more people over?

Just to give you an idea, I went from an old 3.5i saloon to an old 3.0i saloon and my insurance went up by 50% 😯

warton
    Free Member

the reason all cars insurance is sky high is simple

Whiplash claims

the tiniest bump, and people claim whiplash, a claim that costs 500 quid to fix the car ends up costing 10k+ in solicitors and claim management company fees, it’s a disgrace.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

that does seem nuts!

just got a quote on my 52 reg 1.4tdci fiesta £172 fully comp (im 38 with 4 years no claims)

it was via gocompare, it all seemed legit…..

yetidave
    Free Member

for me the car does not change the premium much. My £2k mazda 6 petrol 07plate about £200/yr, same price as a £15k VRS, or a £25k VW.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Postcode makes a bigger difference than the car itself, IMO. Strangely, having mrs_d as a named driver makes it cheaper than not.

Have you tried Hastings Direct. I’m with them, 47, driving 21 years, full NCD, BD17 postcode. 2006 56 plate Citroen C4 1.6 SX petrol.
    < £300/year before you split it into 12 instalments & pay extra for the privilege

johndoh
    Free Member

High end? Prestigious?
    MAZDA?
    Eh? WTF?

That is the OP point

ourmaninthenorth

Mazda 3 Sport 2 litre. 2010 model. 36yo, licence for 19 years. Full NCB.

I live in a small village with zero recorded crime (in last British Crime Survey). Costs me the same as when I lived in Manchester. Same cost: £580.

That’s Mazda price..!

johndoh
    Free Member

Our 3 Sport (2007) costs about £270 a year (I’m 45, wife 36)

Costs much more in the tyres it eats and petrol it guzzles.

Rosss
    Free Member

54 Fiesta 1.4, 18, First Car – £3200.

somafunk

I agree, all car insurance is a rip-off and the sooner it’s sorted out the better but i doubt the government can do anything about it.

FWIW – £347 to insure my 28yr old MK2 Golf, fully rebuilt/restored, 194bhp tuned engine, modified suspension, modified brakes, modified exhaust system etc…. with an agreed value of £5.5k, fully comp protected, thatcham alarm, no insurance claims made by myself or made against me in 20+ yrs. Stay in a very rural area of S-W Scotland.

Personally i think it’s rather expensive, 10 years ago i ran a 260 bhp alfa 75 v6 special edition and that cost me less than £270.

Every year they try and increase my premium for no reason whatsoever, every year i tell them to go **** themselves and shop around for a better deal.

busydog
    Free Member

Just did a quick conversion of the US insurance rate for our two vehicls (2007 Toyota Tacoma and 2012 Toyota Highlander). We pay $1763.00 USD, which I think comes out to about 1,102 GBP

martinxyz
    Free Member

Seems a bit steep, I’m 32 & my wrx Impreza is about £400 to insure. Oddly my 306 rallye isn’t much less.

That’s not too odd! It’s a 306 rallye. One is getting rare as hen’s teeth.. the other is as rare as hen’s beaks 😛

busydog
    Free Member

In the US, factors that come into play on rates are:
    Area you live in
    Driving/accident record
    Year of the vehicle, of course
    Mrs busydog uses hers for work, so have to carry extra liability coverage.

sambob
    Free Member

I was quite pleased with a quote of 2k of a 1.9TDi Golf at 17. Can’t imagine anywhere less risky for keeping a car though, other than perhaps Eigg.

chewkw
    Free Member

I am paying £1.5k insurance for my Toyota Corolla 1.6 auto at the moment because as I hold a foreign licence and provisional British licence … 🙄

wurzelcube
    Free Member

It’s a mystery… My renewal has just come through, shopped around and when ringing up to cancel my renewal they are suddenly able to knock a huge chunk off.

FWIW I’m a similar age and NCB paying less than £400 on a 320d M sport, post code lottery…

pjm84
    Free Member

Changed my Volvo XC70 to a 1.6D V70 and was told that the insurance renewal would increase from £400 to £505 as I didn’t have experience in my new car. I’m 45 FFS.

When I explained that the insurance rating of the new Volvo was a lot lower then the old Volvo I was told it didn’t really make a difference.

Just changed insurers and now with Avia, cost £360 (including £30 European cover) with the added benefit / promise of £80 cashback via Quidco. Rather oddly my previous insurer was quoting £400 on the comparsion website.

busydog
    Free Member

What do they do in the UK if one is caught driving without insurance?
    A big problem here in the state of New Mexico (and likely in other states as well) is the large number of un-insured motorists.
    A number of them purchase insurance on a monthly premium basis, keeping it long enough to satisfy the requirement for insurance for vehicle registration, then cancelling it.

xiphon
    Free Member

mk1 TT, 28 (wife is 25), 6yr NCD, 10k per year… £800 fully comp for both. PR Preston postcode…

Only gets driven at the weekend, as we both commute by bike…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Do I drive a high end prestigious sports car?’ is closed to new replies.