Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Do hub end caps wear out?
  • antares
    Free Member

Noticed a bit of play in my front wheel, Roval Trail with 15mm hub end caps. Axle was tightened up correctly, tried a different wheel in there and that was fine so changed the bearings as one was sounding a bit rough anyway but the play is still there. So, do the hub end caps wear out as that is the only thing left that I think it could be, although I can’t seem to see any noticeable wear to the caps themselves. Anything else I’m overlooking? Thanks

neilthewheel

Are the bearings still a tight fit on the axle?

antares
    Free Member

It’s the end caps that fit inside the bearings and not the axle. There is a bit of play when I put the axle through the hub without putting it in the forks, which I suppose will be exaggerated when I’m holding a 29er wheel by the tyre and moving it side to side. I’ve just never heard of anyone having to replace end caps and Google didn’t return any info on it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The inner bearing race should be fixed against the end cap as should the drop outs. Nothing touching the end cap should move relative to them. If no movement has occurred, they shouldn’t need replacing.

If things have moved (seized bearings) it’s a different story.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Do hub end caps wear out?’ is closed to new replies.