Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Do ghosts exist?
  • chojin
    Free Member

In the spirit (*chortle*) of Halloween, tell me your true ghost stories.
    You only ever hear about “friends of a friend” who claim to have seen a ghost, never from a person direct (IME).
    So g’wan. Convince me they exist.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

The answer seemed to be yes…but mainly on Anglesey.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/spookystrange-encounters

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Has anyone seen one?

Love Halloween!

Wondering of local ghost walk is on?

chojin
    Free Member

Bah.

A few weeks ago? Pffft. But it wasn’t halloween a few weeks ago!

*grump*

cupra
    Free Member

Do they exist? -yes
    Have I seen one? – yes
    Did I sh*t myself? – yes
    Did anyone else see it? – yes
    When was this? – 1988
    Where? – Stobo Castle near Peebles.

chojin
    Free Member

Cupra, elaborate!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

crikey to the thread please 😀

southbeds
    Free Member

“By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.”

alex222
    Free Member

Do ghosts exist?

No

richmtb

No

But I love a good horror story.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

story from codybrennan on the 1st page of the above thread made me shiver

chojin
    Free Member

You see, I’m completely with you on the “no” part. I think people who believe tend to seem slightly unhinged 🙂
    Still, I like a story with conviction.

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t believe in anything ghostly, but I have been spooked by a number of tales from my great aunt and uncle, and seeing some very odd behaviour from their neighbour.

They are atheist, down to earth, very switched on and pretty normal.

Live in a huge old house. My uncle is generally up first in the morning and kept whinging about how my aunt was moving stuff (toothbrushes were being left on his chair, golfclubs in a different room etc). My aunt always protested her innocence. This went on for, I kid you not, years. My uncle always blamed my aunt and on the occasions when my aunt got up first, she thought it was him trying to wind her up.

I put it down to both of them just winding each other up in their old age.

However, my mum and I were round for lunch on a sunny Sunday afternoon and there was a young woman hanging out washing out the back (the attic space was part of the building next door and was rented out). My aunt and uncle hadn’t met her yet so we wandered over to say hello.

Turns out she had been there for a month or so and was a nurse. My aunt asked how she liked living in the house etc and the nurse was a bit cagey. My uncle jokingly asked her if she’d met the resident “poltergeist” yet, which was what he referred to my aunt as, due to him always thinking she was moving his stuff trying to make him think the house was haunted.

I doubt I’ll ever forget the look on that poor girl’s face! Her hands went over her ears and she started screaming and swearing at my old uncle to shut up! She looked like she was genuinely in fear of her life, quite upsetting.

She packed up her stuff that evening and her dad came to get her. Never showed up again.

My aunt and uncle seemed completely unbothered by the incident and my aunt even made a comment along the lines of “see, I told you all that stuff wasn’t me! That poor girl must have had stuff happening to her too”

Properly freaked me out, especially since they didn’t seemed bothered about it at all. 😯

crikey
    Free Member

I can’t get involved in this, I’m having a cheeky early pint in the Chop house in town!

colournoise

Ghosts as in the spirits of the dead hanging around? Absolutely not.

You die. You rot.

Open to the idea that sometimes stuff happens we don’t yet understand though. Just don’t try to tell me it’s something supernatural.

bencooper
    Free Member

No – every spooky situation I’ve ever been in has had a logical explanation. Creepiest was in an old BAE Systems shipyard building, with suspended ceilings. I was in the middle of quite a large room, and suddenly there was a scratching sound from one end. Then another, then another from the other direction, then all around getting closer and closer.

All I could think about was that scene in Aliens where they’re above the ceiling.

It was, of course, pigeons.

seaurchin01
    Free Member

I worked as a carer before going to uni. One evening a normally lucid lady was convinced somebody was standing in the corner of the room watching her. 3 times I looked and reassured her there was nobody there. She died peacefully in her sleep that night. I had several other experiences of people seeing and saying strange things just before they die. Of course, there are probably rational explanations for them all.

alex222
    Free Member

Of course, there are probably rational explanations for them all.

She was senile and so was hallucinating – as a guess.

crikey
    Free Member

Funny, I’ve had lots of experience of people saying strange things and then …not dying….

jon1973
    Free Member

Baldrick: I couldn’t sleep when I was little.

Blackadder: You still are little, Baldrick.

Baldrick: Yeah, well, when I was even littler, see, we used to live in this big haunted hovel. Every night, my parents were troubled by a visitation from this disgusting ghoul. It was terrible. First there was this unholy smell, and then this tiny, clammy, hairy creature would materialize in the bed between them. Strangely I could never see it myself.

Blackadder: Yyyyyes… Tell me, Baldrick, when you left home, did this repulsive entity mysteriously disappear?

Baldrick: That very day.

Blackadder: I think then that the mystery is solved.

santacoops
    Free Member

You can’t draw a conclusion from a lack of knowledge. “What caused such-and-such, so it must have been a ghost.”

cheese@4p

Ghosts never seem to do anyone any physical harm do they?

chojin
    Free Member

You can’t draw a conclusion from a lack of knowledge. “What caused such-and-such, so it must have been a ghost.”

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains no matter how improbable, must be the truth right? 🙄

santacoops
    Free Member

Folk are reluctant to think certain events are meaningless and eager to think the events are the work of invisible “entities”. What about when we have a stroke of good luck and assume it is angels looking after us? Or struck down in illness and its the “demons”.

IMO ghosts aren’t superstition or spirits from the dead. Its what we get from having remarkable brains that can figure out why people behave in certain ways.

gonefishin
    Free Member

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains no matter how improbable, must be the truth right?

Well as ghosts violate the laws of thermodynamics, I’m quite happy for them to go into the “impossible” category. 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

My old school friend supposedly had a haunted house. Both him and his father had seen the ‘ghost’ and the dog would often refuse to go into the kitchen (where all the ‘sightings’ happened).

He told me about his sighting and it was quite spooky. Early morning in the kitchen he came across a bloke (in 19th century getup – believed to be an old butler) standing there (not ghostly – proper ‘solid’ human) who apparently promptly vaporised infront of him and vanished. He wasn’t the sort to make things up but its still something i’d have to see myself to believe. Big old house in Edgebaston in Brum.

Story always makes me shiver though for some reason despite me not really believing in ghosts and the like……

psling
    Free Member

Don’t believe in ghosts [as in the restless souls of the dead] but I do believe in a parallel universe… 😯

Rockape63
    Free Member

My in-laws rented an old cottage for 6 months and things were always being moved and pots and pans in the kitchen taken out of cupboards and left on the worktops.

Then one day the FIL saw a woman dressed in Victorian garb walk in the bedroom and bend over his wife, peer at her and walk back through the door.

He was a very down to earth dentist and not prone to making things up!

scuzz
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that most* people aren’t making it up. They genuinely experienced these things. That doesn’t mean the things were actually there, though. The human brain is brilliant like that.

slowclimb
    Free Member

C’mon Cupra tell the Stobo story, I’m intrigued…

klumpy
    Free Member

Once, I was alone in the house, and the whole place went deathly silent, like REALLY spookily quiet. But when I searched the house THERE WAS NO-ONE THERE!!!

Although I’m (obviously) not a believer, I really hate that cowled monk photo; I mean, what the hell!?!?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m undecided about ‘ghosts’ and figures appearing etc etc, but I definitely belive in the supernatural.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Basically this

Ghosts as in the spirits of the dead hanging around? Absolutely not.

You die. You rot.

Open to the idea that sometimes stuff happens we don’t yet understand though. Just don’t try to tell me it’s something supernatural.

And this

I’d hazard a guess that most* people aren’t making it up. They genuinely experienced these things. That doesn’t mean the things were actually there, though. The human brain is brilliant like that.

I’ve never personally experienced anything to make me think ‘tradtitonal’ ghosts exist but wouldn’t necessarily rule out some odd perception/brain stuff, perhaps even linked to particular places.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Once, I was alone in the house, and the whole place went deathly silent, like REALLY spookily quiet. But when I searched the house THERE WAS NO-ONE THERE!!!

So no people weren’t making any noise. Yeah that’s really creepy

peterfile
    Free Member

So no people weren’t making any noise. Yeah that’s really creepy

woooossshhhhhh 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I love the stories but theres never been any scientific evidence and I dont believe. BUT I do think people see things but I think its largely down to their brains, the location, the way they feel at the time, not ghosts, not concious beings from the past, not dead people trying to get in touch. Nobody can explain it yet, maybe sometime in the future they will but not yet. However keep the stories going cos having the hairs on the back of yer neck raised is fab!

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh yeah, another one – in a bunker, in the pitch black, wearing a respirator because of the asbestos. It was very cold, and there was this dust that kept drifting oddly in the torchlight. Very, very claustrophobic, especially with the respirator noises.

Went back a year later with a bunch of blokes to help clear it out, and it was totally different.

hammerite
    Free Member

I used to love Most Haunted on TV. But could never understand how the mediums could visit foreign countries and all the ghosts could speak perfect English 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

Another one – exploring the Central Hotel in Glasgow, before it was refurbished, and there were some odd rooms on the top floor:

A room with book pages stuck up to the walls:

A room which had what looked a lot like dried blood on the walls:

And a very small cubby hole under the eaves, lined with razor blades:

Turns out it was all left over from an art installation in the ’90s…

Junkyard
    Free Member

No
    HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Do ghosts exist?’ is closed to new replies.