Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do Full Suspension Bikes Have Common Swingarms Between Sizes?
  • Daffy

It certainly seems so on some of them, and, to be honest, it makes a lot of them look rubbish in anything other than a small or medium.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most seem to.

On the one hand it makes the weigh distribution different between sizes, on the other it’s more to do with how far that COG is from the rear wheel (i.e. a tall person doesn’t want a long rear end, he wants his/her COG the same relative to the wheel to make manualing* both bike the same), in which case having the same back end is correct.

*or pumping, or the stability induced by having the COG a given distance from the rear wheel through rougher sections, none of which are really related to the front wheel.

Daffy

I was just looking (and this may be specific to 29ers with a shock ~inline with the TT/Seatstay) and in some of the larger sizes, it truly makes the frames look horrendous…

The Ibis Ripley for instance looks ACE in a small, but once it gets to a large, the SS isn’t inline with the link, which in-turn isn’t inline with the shock which in-turn isn’t inline with the TT. It offends my OCD so much that even as a huge ibis fan, I can’t bring myself to buy* one…

* I also don’t have anywhere near the amount of money required for a Ripley, but that’s beside the point…

stevied
    Free Member

Liteville have different chainstays for different sized frames. More to do with ‘scaled sizing’ than anything else.

STATO
    Free Member

Your argument fell apart as soon as I googled small ibis ripley…

It looks like its been crashed into the skip it should’ve been chucked into.

Any bike with an fork-to-toptube angle less than 90degrees should be banned.

plyphon
    Free Member

Don’t turn the front wheel the way your forward foot is!

rhayter

Most do. Norco do not.

Daffy

Agreed on the HT angle for the Ibis….lots of 29ers are properly odd looking, but I was considering the LS version.

STATO
    Free Member

Your straight line theory is still off for that bike, the toptube is still not on a parallel line with the seat-stays, and it doesn’t help that its a blobby carbon moulded shape.

Its a nice enough looking bike despite that though, because it doesn’t break the 90degree rule (or at least by as much)

[edit] also anyone with actual OCD would be clawing their eyes out at that bike because it has 3 rims decals and only 2 tyre ones, so you cant claim OCD if you like the IBIS wheels[/edit]

Daffy

STATO – Member
    you cant claim OCD if you like the IBIS wheels

I’ve de-stickered all of my rims (except for the Archetypes as they’re cool) as I can’t stand it when irremovable tyre decals (especially gopping yellow ones ….I’m looking at YOU Maxxis!) are shorter than rim decals….they should decrease radially toward the hub!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do Full Suspension Bikes Have Common Swingarms Between Sizes?’ is closed to new replies.