Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do Freehubs need 'running in'?
  • dawson

or have I put my hub back together incorrectly?

I have just rebuilt my rear hub with a new freehub and cassette etc the wheel spins freely and the freehub seems to be working ok.

However, on my test up and down the street I attempted to back-pedal – the chain just went slack rather than rotating smoothly in reverse.

Is this because the freehub needs running in or have I tightened something up too much?

mike_check
    Free Member

Have you done any other work at the same time? Could be that one, or both, of your jockey wheels isn't spinning freely

dawson

Its a brand new rear mech and chain too.

mike_check
    Free Member

hmm, I've never had that problem with new free-hubs or hubs, though I did have a Shimano BMX freewheel that was a bit sticky. If you lift the back end and pedal it normally with your hands then let go of the crank does it freewheel or does it try and turn the crank as it goes?

May just be sticky or overpacked grease from the factory which will loosen up with use.

Hadge
    Free Member

Sounds like you've re-assembled it incorrectly. Strip it down again and have another go. Go to the Park website for info.

mike_check
    Free Member

Could also possibly be worn front rings not 'letting go' of the chain when you backpedal, causing chainsuck when you pedal backwards.

dawson

Its a brand new chain set too.

Mike – I've just tried what you said – lifted the back wheel up, and turned the pedals. The wheel spun normally and the cranks stayed still.

I've got the bike upside down in the kitchen now!

dawson

The answer was, Yes, they do… 24 miles today and its now spinning freely and well and truely christened.

solarider
    Free Member

Did you grease it? Sometimes if the grease is too thick it will cause a surprising amount of friction. If so, remove it and wipe it off.

dawson

I hadn't put any grease on the freehub, just on the bearings in the cup and cone bit.

DT78
    Free Member

Sorry fr the hijack – but if you free wheel and the cranks move what does that mean? I'm getting that on a 2nd hand single speed bike – does that mean the freehubs knackered?

dawson

Well, I had to change mine as it was failing to engage drive, whereas yours sounds like it is seized in the 'on' position (if that makes sense)

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do Freehubs need 'running in'?’ is closed to new replies.