Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do estate agents have access to wider angle lenses than the rest of us?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above. Grim dark streets become beautiful vistas, 9′ x 10′ rooms become garantuan.

*grumps*

scuzz
    Free Member
    thejesmonddingo

Yes

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It’s the vacuum left by their soul sucking the life out of your room.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s light bending around the agent due to the astronomic density of their bullshit

pigyn
    Free Member

I had to click that link just to make sure it’s what I hoped it would be.

A fantastic show, well worth watching for anyone that hasn’t.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I think they do. I complained to a few that the photos were not an accurate representation of the house but they didn’t care. You can’t even trust the measurements they put on the adverts. I used to design houses for a living and had to do a few property misdescription courses so I know how a room should be dimensioned on legal documents. Estate agents just dimension them up to give the largest possible room on paper.
    I looked into it and there is a lense guideline for them to follow but I can’t remember any details as its been a couple of years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think so … theres a house just down the road for me …2 bed and 60 sqm …. its just sold for 25% more than my house and its half the size and on half the plot of ground …. its literally a postage stamp … yet on the photos on the listing it looks huge…..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

i think so … theres a house just down the road for me …2 bed and 60 sqm …. its just sold for 25% more than my house and its half the size and on half the plot of ground …. its literally a postage stamp … yet on the photos on the listing it looks huge…..

Aaaaaghhhhh! There be bullshitters everywhere! 👿

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All the the ones i know use sigma 10-20 lenses (the cheaper one not the f3.5) on cannon or nikon apsc cameras. So yes about as wide as is parctical without going fisheye. Any wider would go significantly over a 90deg field of vision which gives problems with converging lines as youd see all 4 walls at once!

brooess
    Free Member

If you look at photos for items which you know are square or round e.g. a clock or mirror you’ll always see that they’ve been elongated.

A flat I used to rent is on the market – I was in the day the photos were taken so I know how dull and grey it was that day – but the photos make it look bright and airy, which having lived there for 8 months, it never was, even on sunny days.

Those photos were massively misrepresentative of the flat – to the extent that if a retailer or manufacturer did it you can bet they would be taken to court under trades descriptions act…

I really don’t know why estate agents haven’t been regulated… pretty much everyone I’ve dealt with has lied or misled or left out something significant

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Those photos were massively misrepresentative of the flat – to the extent that if a retailer or manufacturer did it you can bet they would be taken to court under trades descriptions act…

People don’t buy or rent properties on photos alone, do they?

joat

But nobody buys on spec, save the odd bidder in an auction. Surely you have a choice in the matter when you see it for real. Sure the time-wasting can be a pain, but you know the photos will show the property in its best light, both literally and figuratively.
    Edit: what he said ^.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    it’s light bending around the agent due to the astronomic density of their bullshit

😆

We recently sold our 3 bed semi and it looked huuuuge on-line. The usual give aways on the pics are doors that appear double the width of standard ones and four foot wide washing machines.

We made our agent come back and take them again, his initial response was that it gets people through the door which is fair enough until they realise they are not going to get what they thought they were.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saw some locally where the square coffee table was rectangular in a couple of pics…
    People who don’t come through the door won’t buy it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

And equally people get justifiably peeved when they have effectively been lured under false pretenses and then look at the place in a negative light.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

What gets me (and I know it’s small) is that dining tables (in the kitchen or dining room) are always pushed up against a wall so some chairs couldn’t even be used to make the rooms look smaller.

God, it annoys me!

twang
    Free Member

The usual give aways on the pics are doors that appear double the width of standard ones and four foot wide washing machines.

…and the photographers ears on either side of the pic. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I heard that back in the 80s Barret show homes were all furnished with furniture 10-20% smaller than std to make the rooms look bigger.

Shackleton

We had a look around some new builds a few years ago and couldn’t work out what was weird. Eventually I realised that they hadn’t put any internal doors in to make everything look bigger and give them more space to play with.

And the furniture did seem smaller as I sat in an armchair and had to fight my way back out.

GrahamS

In this day and age they could take 360° photos or videos to let people look around virtually.

But that might be dangerously realistic.

riddoch

It’s interesting when you get the photos for your own house and you know you spent the minutes before the photo being taken moving all the crap to where the agent was standing to free up the room.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I heard that back in the 80s Barret show homes were all furnished with furniture 10-20% smaller than std to make the rooms look bigger.

Maybe it started in the 80s … I looked at 2 newbuilds in 2012. One was fine – the other.

“This is a 2nd double bedroom” ” really that bed is a single and a half , a real double would mean the door wouldnt open”

thenorthwind

This

It’s the vacuum left by their soul sucking the life out of your room.

and this

😀

But, and I’m not one to defend estate/letting agents, I’ve been in a position a few times in shared houses where we’ve needed to advertise for a new housemate and so have needed pictures for an ad. As well as wanting to show the house in its best light, you need to show what the place actually looks like, and it’s not till you try and take a picture of an average sized bathroom with even a normal DSLR kit lens at its widest (say 18mm) that you realise what a small field of vision that gives you.

I remember doing moves normally left to contortionists to get the camera into a corner where it would capture more than a small area of the opposite wall, whilst still being able to press the shutter without being in shot (I haven’t got a tripod that reaches the ceiling).
    I even remember taking a picture of a downstairs room from outside through an open window.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do estate agents have access to wider angle lenses than the rest of us?’ is closed to new replies.