Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Do cricket balls hit people in the crowd when a six is hit
  • flip
    Free Member

Looks dangerous to me 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thats why you catch them! They have had celebrity catchers in the stands for the big bash 20/20 in Oz, if caught a big cash prize goes out. Nothing was caught or even hit near I think.

johndoh
    Free Member

They are watching the game so tend to know a ball is coming. They usually try to catch them.

terrahawk
    Free Member

That’s why it’s mandatory to get completely pissed when you’re at the cricket.

br
    Free Member

Looks dangerous to me

Has Mummy just let you watch cricket for the first time?

alanl
    Free Member

I saw one a few years ago, a big 6, around 8 rows back, the stand wasnt full.
    The bloke it was going to hit looked oblivious, but just leaned forward a little, the ball skimmed over his head with a mm to spare, hit the back of his seat, bounced back, and landed back on the pitch. Quite a hefty dent in the seat, and great big cheer all around, as it was quite funny, and a little lucky, that it had missed the bloke.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I was in the front row at Headingley when Graham Smith cracked a four straight at me. It pinged up off the rope unexpectedly into my lap and scared the shit out of me. I dropped my olives. 🙁

It’s not just the 6s that are dangerous.

convert

I play once a year in the school teachers vs parents & governors match. Absolutely no skill but lots of brawn. As a lefty I tend to hit to places the righties don’t. A lucky 6 in the first over smashed the windscreen of the car of the parent who was bowling parked next to the pitch about 3 yards from the (really short) boundary . Many apologies from me and piss taking from the rest of the team but you’d think they’d learn. A couple of over later and another hook….. this time a one bounce four smack into the door of the chair of governor’s Bentley. Less mirth about that one. I got myself out and kept my head down for the rest of the afternoon!

WillH

During the recent Windies and Sri Lanka ODI and T20 tours here in NZ, a local brewery was offering $100,000 to anyone who caught a six – you had to have bought one of their promo T-shirts and lanyards at the gate though, and be wearing them when you took the catch. They weren’t expensive, $10 or something. A couple of people won the prize, both one-handed catches, can’t remember if that was a rule or not.

There were several near misses too, one girl almost got one but was in one of the stands with seats (as opposed to the grass banks where the winners were taken) and couldn’t scramble across the seats fast enough.

MartynS

scared the shit out of me. I dropped my olives.

That made me laugh!!!!

JEngledow
    Free Member

Freddy Flintoff managed to spit open a blokes head during practice once (the chap was sat reading his paper at the time), afterwards he was sent a signed helmet as an apology!!

convert

Freddie also managed to ‘almost’ get caught by his father…

Youtube link

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to go to the Rose Bowl loads, Thursdays 20/20’s were full of 6’s and yes, yes they did land in the crowd, a lot. Ex MrsBouy has 4 balls that landed her way, she got them signed after the games.

Worst 6 landing I saw was right on top of a middle aged lady who was reading a paper, landed on her head and she was taken away in an ambulance 😐

Most balls that head into the stands have lost a lot of their velocity and normally the crowd around where the ball is about to land all know it’s coming their way and make a right old racket, so hardly a surprise.

roper
    Free Member

As far as I remember the away team car park at the Derby club ground is on line with 6’s. It was fairly common to hear the sound of thumping metal or the occasional smashing glass. Locals knew where to park.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The crowd tends to watch the ball and catch it or duck, getting hit would be a problem. On a somewhat related note at baseball in the US the crowd often bring their glove and wait game after game for the chance to catch a home run.

Drac

It pinged up off the rope unexpectedly into my lap and scared the shit out of me. I dropped my olives

We all have a reaching puberty story, thanks for sharing yours.

slowoldman

lemonysam said:
    I dropped my olives

That’s a euphemism eh?

Was it Sobers who first hit six sixes in one over? I seem to recall at least one went out of the ground.

hooli

At some venues the people selling crisps, drinks etc wear hard hats for exactly this reason.

toby1

I was at a local match a while back, sitting in the sun, drink in hand chatting my mates fiancee while he was in bat, he smashed a 6 coming straight for us, we got up, I went right, she went left but into the path of the ball. It caught her square on the ankle bone, it didn’t break, but it wasn’t pretty – hell of a bruise.

Drac

I was at a local match a while back, sitting in the sun, drink in hand chatting my mates fiancee while he was in bat, he smashed a 6 coming straight for us,

spacemonkey

In the village I grew up in there was an old fella with a huge permanent swelling on his neck where according to local legend he got smacked by a cricket ball. If true then I imagine it was from dozing off at silly point as opposed to being on the receiving end of a six.

binners

I dropped my olives

Definitely euphemism of the week! 😆

I remember the first cricket match I went to as a kid at Old Trafford, watching Clive Lloyd smash a six completely out of the ground 😯

I imagine someone got a bit of a shock as they were walking down Great Stone Road

hooli

lemonysam – Member
    when Graham Smith cracked a four

Must have been a good few years ago if he got the ball anywhere near the boundry 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tMujgAAyH-I
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tMujgAAyH-I[/video]

spacemonkey

watching Clive Lloyd

Oddly I met him at my first match too – against the Aussies at the Oval in 93. Grabbed Shook his hand as he walked past me up the steps.

jonba
    Free Member

Sounds dangerous, clearly a need for mandatory helmets for spectators and high viz cricket balls.

rogermoore
    prawny

Saw that you tube clip on eurosport the other day. Amazing. You reckon she’d have survived that?

molgrips
    Free Member

When we were in school our nets were next to the yard. One lunchtime our crap cricket team was practicing, and someone clipped a ball miles into the air, to land on the yard. Cue about 300 people screaming HEEEEAAADDDSS!!! ever louder as it headed towards the only lad who hadn’t seen it. He was also oblivious to the shouts and the ball hit him smack on the top of his head and bounced about 20ft back into the air 🙂 Cue 300 people falling about laughing and one in severe pain.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw that you tube clip on eurosport the other day. Amazing. You reckon she’d have survived that?

Pretty sure it’s fake.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

A story back home had a well known cricketer with a penchant for fast Italian cars turning up at a match and having a tremendous innings. He was having a great time until he went to the car park to discover his brand new car’s windscreen broken. In two places.

People say it was Sanath Jayasuriya, but I couldn’t possibly confirm.

bob_summers

The baseball one looks faked. You see another ball hit just before the one that is caught. I think… Watching on a phone. Impressive fake tho.

GrahamS

The baseball one looks faked

It is. Advert for Gillette.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/longoria.asp

Well made though.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Do cricket balls hit people in the crowd when a six is hit’ is closed to new replies.