Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do conveyancers actually do anything?
  • spacemonkey

Previous house purchase: it took 3 weeks for the vendor’s solicitor to send through the initials docs, therefore our’s couldn’t do anything. Former kept denying they were even being chased!

Current house purchase: already 2 weeks down the line and still no docs from vendor’s solicitor.

****s me right off.

Just ranting.

GrahamS

It’s my understanding that a large conveyancer can be used to launch an aeroplane.

Or possibly not.

antigee

just hang on in there we’ll be sending you a totally irrelevant standard letter shortly, thanks for reminding us

ericemel
    Free Member

Useless, our told us our gas fire was electric and didn’t realise we had a garage.

callous
    Free Member

Conveyancers basically sort out the legal process of selling your house (mrs callous is one). The delays are due to all the searches with land registry and local councils, services etc… They are the ones that make sure you aren’t buying a house on an old mining site etc…
    Estate agents, on the other hand, actually do, do **** all, apart from putting a postcard in a window and taking a percentage, and phoning up and abusing conveyancers.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

They exchange letters, they don’t chase anything up, once they send a letter they wait for a reply, and if it doesn’t come back they do b*gger all, content in the knowledge that they have done their job and it’s someone elses fault that the process is taking so long.

soobalias
    Free Member

stop it, you are making me nervous.

SOOBalias current address is exchanged and due to complete, new address is up in the air a little…..

spacemonkey

The delays are due to all the searches with land registry and local councils, services etc… They are the ones that make sure you aren’t buying a house on an old mining site etc…

Yes, I know all that. But we’ve not even got to that stage because the vendor’s solicitor still haven’t sent the contract pack after 2 weeks! The previous one took 3 weeks FFS! During which time **** all happens.

content in the knowledge that they have done their job and it’s someone elses fault that the process is taking so long.

Yep.

spacemonkey

SOOBalias current address is exchanged and due to complete, new address is up in the air a little…..

Eh? You’ve sold but don’t know where you’re moving to?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Estate agents, on the other hand, actually do, do **** all, apart from putting a postcard in a window and taking a percentage, and phoning up and abusing conveyancers.

you forgot guessing what the lawyers are doing, making up stories, filling in blanks and outright lying.

mudshark
    Free Member

Last time I bought a house I talked directly to the vendor when there were hold ups and he sorted out. Some solicitors charge thousands to do conveyancing, some dedicated conveyancers charge a few hundred. I’ve always used a decent one and had good service as moving house is hassle enough without a decent people working for you.

soobalias
    Free Member

Eh? You’ve sold but don’t know where you’re moving to?

yup, best laid plans and all that.

intended to sell/rent
    then found somewhere to buy with an offer based on a completion date…..

so my buyer moves in 9th aug.
    the purchase being completed by then is in the hands of the solicitors

spacemonkey

Last time I bought a house I talked directly to the vendor when there were hold ups and he sorted out.

So did I on the last one. But that failed to speed things up because they couldn’t get their solicitor to do anything either. Nor could the agent.

Current vendor is on the other side of the world so I’m left with just the agent. Ar5e.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Some are pretty good – some are rubbish. As a guide if they don’t have a website and don’t respond to e-mails (especially asking for a quote) – Avoid.

epicyclo

If you pick your conveyancer by their fees, you’re probably getting the care and attention you have paid for….

soobalias
    Free Member

if mine is reading, apparently the recent paperwork arrived today, thanks.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Dead simples. Rule of thumb, if you pay more, there is more time available for chasing others on your behalf. If you pay more but other side doesn’t, then your guy/gal will run around in circles waiting.

If you pay cheap price, you only paid for doing the paperwork, you did not buy any chasing up time. Paperwork written, put in post – ignore until it boomerrangs back. If it doesnt boomerang then nothing happens.

Decent estate agents employ chasers. They ask for contact details for everyone and from the go get they phone every f****r involved every few days until the deal is done and they get their fee. Anyone holds it up gets hassled until they pull their finger out.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do conveyancers actually do anything?’ is closed to new replies.