Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do cats get sunburnt?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Our cat has spent the last few days sleeping on the lawn like a giant rat

I noticed last night that the back of her ears and the end of her nose had turned a rather adorable shade of pink and wondered if I should apply a bit of factor 30 while the sun is out?

ski
    Free Member

Aparently white cats can, or if your cat has light coloured ears or nose?

mrmo
    Free Member

is s/he white? the answer to the question is yes.

Cats can also get skin cancer, just in case your wondering

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, one of ours is white and we were told to put suncream on the tips of his ears during the summer as they can easily get burnt.

andyl
    Free Member

Definitely get some suncream on there. Cats with no ears (as removed due to skin cancer) look pretty sad 🙁

PS cats with no nose look horrendous. Problem is they lick the suncream off.

rocketman
    Free Member

Fascinating replies thanks fellas.

The cat is a tortoiseshell but the back of her ears and nose are kindof skin coloured

I never realised they could get sunburnt

Taff
    Free Member

I have a white cat and a tabby, the tabby doesn’t show as being burnt but the white one will get very burnt if you’re not careful. It depdns on how thick their ear hair is but it’s white ones that you notice the burns or redness. My tabby doens’t lie in the sun for that long but the white one does so have to put sun screen on. Small price to pay for in comparison to having to go to the vets to have ears cut off due to cancer.

d45yth
    Free Member

Rocketman’s cat, recovering from sunburn…

😆

jon1973
    Free Member

PS cats with no nose look horrendous.

They probably don’t smell too good either.

Cougar

I’d guess that you’d need to be careful what you use. Pretty much a given that it’s going to be ingested when the cat cleans him/herself, need to be sure that it’s not going to be toxic.

rocketman
    Free Member

d45yth: yes that’s her 🙂

Bunnyhop

Not sure about cats.
    Pigs get sunburn though and I had the great joy once of putting suncream on a local farmer’s porker. Afterwards he told me how this particular pig could be a bit of a handful and that he was a bit worried when I climbed into the pen, feeling guilty that he didn’t warn me first.

rugbydick

I had the great joy once of putting suncream on a local farmer’s porker

Are you sure that was for sunburn?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Our previous one did occasionally get sunburnt ears when it’d been outside a lot – bit of sunblock helped.
    Probably used a kids or ‘sensitive’ one, to help reduce the chance of it being so toxic (in our minds, anyway)!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do cats get sunburnt?’ is closed to new replies.