Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do braided stainless hoses actually make a difference?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve been using them so long now, that I really don’t know. I know they’re heavier (35 grams for the rear) and they cost more both of which I can live with but…

…in terms of normal regular use, do they make a difference to performance? I appreciate the theory but does a set of hope E4 brakes really produce that much pressure?

scotroutes

Not in my experience. They look nice and I find them to be a bit more flexible which can help with routing and reducing cable rub

firestarter
    Free Member

Dunno but they look way cooler which is clearly the most important 🙂

siloseven
    Free Member

They made a difference when I fitted them to some hope minis many years ago but the guides I have on my current bike are plenty powerful enough without them. I suspect things have moved on and they don’t offer much anymore.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The other thing is pike fork cable guide seems better suited to plastic hose diameter as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wonder how much of the improved feels comes from the associated fresh bleed as well.

beagle
    Free Member

I’ve never felt a difference. Was chatting about this in 18Bikes earlier. I’d be surprised if there was any difference in a push bike application.

And yes to the diameter thing for hose guides. Fitted a mates Pike and had to file the back of the plastic guide down in order for it to fit a braided hose to the fork. Just made enough of the screw clear the guide at the back so I could actually fit the guide to the fork. He wouldn’t have been impressed with a zippy after splashing out on a brand new fork!

Speshpaul

yes, but not as much as the used too. Brakes have got better in general and plastic brake hoses have to.
    If I was building a bike where the routing went under the BB, I’d be looking at braided. A mate had a rock sliced his shimano hose on his stumpy on a fast loose descent. Well we think it was a hose but what ever it was cut it like a knife. A braided hose might have saved the day.

iainc

about as much difference as carbon bars IMO 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes, on the back of a tandem. Not so much on the front, or even rear of a single.

Northwind

Kevlar braided does the same job and weighs less… stainless don’t make any sense imo except if you want it to be really obvious that you’ve bought expensive hoses.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Anyone running them on Magura Louise BAT (etc)?

faustus

I’ve got a shimano m755 front brake using proper shimano braided hose. I’m sure it makes naff all difference, it doesn’t have a plastic cover either so looks great if a bit harsher if it rubs!

schmiken

Ditto on long runs – plastic hoses aren’t anywhere near as good on the back of a tandem.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found a small, not really appreciable difference in brake performance, but they were far and away more robust and kink resistant than plastic hoses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do braided stainless hoses actually make a difference?’ is closed to new replies.