Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • do any of you lot with thule 591 carriers remove them?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

just wondered my old bolt on ones were left on all the time but my new 591 quick fit jobs are easy to remove and i noticed today that someone had started to remove them but must have been disturbed or something , twunts ;-(

meeeee
    Free Member

i just leave mine on all the time, but live in a relatively low crime area. To get them off they’d need to force the lock on the carrier, and the locks on both the roof bars. Although they probably arent that difficult to force…

firestarter
    Free Member

it can be removed by just one lock with the breaking strain of a kit kat lol they also handily leave the key number on them 😉 which altho handy for me to get the right one first time is also even easier for tea leave.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Always take my roof rack off when I’m not using it. Doesn’t do your fuel consumption figures an good leaving it on. But then again I don’t drive all over the country every weekend to ride my bike.

orena45

I only tend to take mine off if I’m driving long distances without the bike, to save fuel. Otherwise it’s left on most of the time – might rethink that now! 😕

firestarter
    Free Member

my racks worth nearly as much as the car. its not too much a pain to just bob on i guess as the 591 is so fast to use. i guess someone saw it and thought to make a quick buck ;-( cant have nowt these days

l45key
    Free Member

Mine are left on all the time, can’t be bothered to take them off and on everytime I take the bike somewhere.

Swello
    Free Member

Always leave mine on – can’t be arsed with removing them and fitting them all the time…

franki
    Free Member

I take the 591 off after use, but leave the roof bars on most of the time, as they are a right faff to take on and off.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah im leaving my bars on but i’ll be removing the rack from now on

dee66
    Free Member

Racks off bars left on unless I was going to go long distance without the bikes. Loads of racks left on in this area.
    The Thule lock kits contain a master key according to a web site I looked at. No need to even break anything to steal them.

neil853
    Free Member

have always left mine on and to be honest it makes very little difference to the fuel economy whilst the bikes are off (2/3mpg), massive amounts whilst there on mind but thats another point, really wish i’d got the thule toe bar rack now.

Driller
    Free Member

I had two bikes stolen from my partners garage when my car was parked outside with Thule bike carriers left on the roof.

The Police stated this was in all probability the reason for the break-in. At lest two other properties in the local area were done the same night, both with cars parked outside with Thule bike carriers on the roof. And. if there is such a thing, it is considered a ‘low crime area’ and the car was parked well off the street, out of sight.

I certainly don’t leave mine on the car any more, ever. The new ones take seconds to fit/remove, it’s just not worth the risk.

midlifecrashes

I had a couple of Thule racks nicked from the bars one Sat night a couple of years ago, must have gone straight to the car boot sale. Currently got four racks on the bars and it’s a two person lift on and off even before you start to load it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘do any of you lot with thule 591 carriers remove them?’ is closed to new replies.