Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do any cars not make the indicator clicking noise?
  • pondo

Does anyone know if there are any cars that DON’T make the indicator clicking noise? Chap at work has bought an 02 Fabia as his first car and it doesn’t make the noise, no warning sound if he leaves the lights on either, and the dealer is telling him that that model and trim level of car doesn’t make those noises. I can just – just – about imagine it may not have a lights on warning, but I’ve never heard of a car that doesn’t make a noise when the indicators are on.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

BMW’s and Audi’s

…. cos the drivers never use them….

…ill get me coat

ohnohesback
    Free Member

My father’s 2009 Vauxhall Agila makes a strangulated blipping when he indicates.

carlos
    Free Member

Isn’t it just the relay that clicks anyway??

If it is then I guess it depends on its location. ie – under the dash or in the engine bay

You can get the audible buzzers for when you’re towing

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunnno, hold on whilst I put my phone down…

Nope, mine work fine 😉

pondo

Isn’t it just the relay that clicks anyway??

If it is then I guess it depends on its location. ie – under the dash or in the engine bay
    I think it used to be, not so sure now. Just a bit puzzled that the dealer says that his car doesn’t make the noise at that trim level – that’s got fob-off written all over it.

spooky_b329

I learned to drive in a DAF XF…indicators were silent which is really un-nerving when driving an artic.

I reckon both that and the Fabia have a fault, its often the computer that makes the noise now, rather than a relay.

IdleJon

He’s worried about the non-clicking indicator on a 13 year old Skoda? I wouldn’t worry too much, there’ll be more important things to think about shortly. 😉

the-muffin-man

He’s worried about the non-clicking indicator on a 13 year old Skoda? I wouldn’t worry too much, there’ll be more important things to think about shortly.

^This!

If he can actually get it unlocked that’s a bonus!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Not sure. What I do know is that a lot of manufacturers ‘tune’ the noise of the indicators to give them a ‘high quality’ sound

pondo

He’s worried about the non-clicking indicator on a 13 year old Skoda? I wouldn’t worry too much, there’ll be more important things to think about shortly

He’s not worried about it, because the dealer’s told him it never made that noise. I just think the dealer’s yanking his chain – who knows, maybe the basic 02 Fabia DIDN’T make the noise, just doesn’t seem likely to me.

IdleJon

I used to own one. Can’t remember whether it clicked or not. The engine self destructed after about 2 months. 🙄

richmars

When I built my first kit car, I think it was a legal requirement. The switch unit did the flashing and the clicking. I’ll dig out the SVA book (as it was then) if I remember.

Daffy

The dealer is talking bollox:

Clicky Link

sobriety
    Free Member
    Daffy

Its not a legal requirement for them to make a noise. There must be EITHER an audible of visual warning for use of direction indicators. If the dash lights are still working, it’ll pass an MOT.

richmars

Its not a legal requirement for them to make a noise. There must be EITHER an audible of visual warning for use of direction indicators. If the dash lights are still working, it’ll pass an MOT.

That’s it, all coming back to me now!
    I think most switch units do make a noise as well, but so long as one or the other works that’s all you need.

richmtb

its often the computer that makes the noise now, rather than a relay.

Yep, and manufacturers can change the sound for different regions, most of Europe prefers “Blip, blip, blip” to “click, click, click”

pondo

The dealer is talking bollox:

Clicky Link
    This, I think, very much.

higthepig
    Free Member

Our X reg Fabia made the noise (Elegance model), that and the rear wiper were the only things guaranteed to work though.

GrahamS

Yep, and manufacturers can change the sound for different regions, most of Europe prefers “Blip, blip, blip” to “click, click, click”

Surely modern cars should let you upload your own mp3 clicktones?

Or perhaps have notification of the indicators sent to an app on your phone so you notice it while updating Facebook?

matt_outandabout

that and the rear wiper were the only things guaranteed to work though.

skoda

Surely a joke in there, somewhere… 😉

stumpy01

My Ibiza (03) makes a clicking sound for the indicators and I imagine it’s all the same switchgear.

The lights on buzzer should also be there, I think. It is linked to a switch in the door. This frequently stops working which stops the buzzer and also the light in the headlining coming on and the re-lock feature if the door isn’t opened 20 seconds after the car is unlocked. This can cause problems,if you unlock the car and open it, stick the key in the car, then shut the door. If that switch is faulty, the car can re-lock with the key inside. If you turn the ignition, this won’t happen (not explained that very well).

themightymowgli
    Free Member

My truck has an option in the dash menu to mute/reduce the volume. I’d have thought most modern cars would have similar

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do any cars not make the indicator clicking noise?’ is closed to new replies.