Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • do all swedes chew their lips and drink loads of coffee ?
  • MadBillMcMad

I have just read the first two 'The Girl with the ….' books. Excellent and addictive.

Was it me or were they all chewing & drinking, or perhaps excessive coffee makes you chew your lips.

& BTW I can not wait to get started on the third.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I chew my lips at times. Must be the coffee.

supinerider
    Free Member

I'm slowly becoming one of them. It starts with huge amounts of black coffee… the Finns are worse though.

Most Swedes I've discussed those books with are amazed at how successful they are abroad, given how awfully they are translated.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Gonna have a long long wait for the 4th book.

Pigface
    Free Member

Swedes love their coffee, fika time 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

A lot of Swedes still do the tobacco chewing thing. Still sold over there, but illegal in this country. I've even been in meetings where guys dump a wad of tobacco into their top lip and just suck away

MadBillMcMad

definitely a long wait for book 4.
    The bad translation passed me by, what with not having read the swedish version !

I worked in kentucky many years ago, bigtime baccy chewing and spitting country, that is a seriously bad habit.

Marge
    Free Member

They maybe aren't chewing tobacco but have a snus tucked under their lip instead….

I am frequently in Sweden & was with one of my customers there all day last Thursday & he described his daily coffee consumption limit as 'until I get stomach ache'.
    That is indeed quite a lot of coffee.
    I probabaly joined him in at least 8 throughout the day without including breakfast coffees…..

anagallis_arvensis

They maybe aren't chewing tobacco but have a snus tucked under their lip instead….

Just got back from a couple of weeks walking, sea kyaking and visiting mates in stockholm and loads of them have these little tea bags of tobacco under their lips and they do like their coffee. Women are somewhat easy on the eye too.

supinerider
    Free Member

It's called snus. It's not chewing tobacco. Just sits on your gums. Makes half the people I know look like they have no lips (so no lip chewing then).

I wouldn't recommend trying it. If you're a non-smoker you'll probably throw up.

darrell
    Free Member

snus – very popular here in Norway as well. dirty dirty dirty habit

carriegold
    Free Member

Am well into book three – still lots of coffee being drunk but very little alcohol consumption. In fact a certain degree of smugness over low alcohol consumption.

Poor translation passed me by too but he did use a lot of big words that wouldn't normally be used in crime fiction.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I enjoyed the books, did find the translation to be a bit odd and stilted at times, and occasionally the product placement was so prominent it reminded me of a Bond film. HERE IS MY MACBOOK, PALM AND BILLY PAN PIZZA! AND I SHOP AT IKEA!

I've got a Swedish mate and he's absolutely livid at how successful the books have been, as he thinks they're god awful.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chewing – yes (snus)
    Coffee – yes. The three largest coffee consumers in the world per capita are Norway, Sweden and Finland – by miles. It works out at about 5 cups per person per day, but that's EVERYONE – babies, kids, the lot. And not actually everyone drinks it, so seems to me the average coffee drinker is getting through about 8 or 7 cups per day. And it's bloody strong too! I could only maintain half a cup a day without getting heart flutters.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘do all swedes chew their lips and drink loads of coffee ?’ is closed to new replies.