Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do all disc brakes squeal in the wet/damp?
  • organic355
    Free Member

or just AVIDS?

soobalias
    Free Member

think its pad rather than brake…. but i can get a super howl from my hopes and my maguras could sound like the old intercity 125 if you got the right conditions.

Deveron53
    Free Member

My Avid Juicy 7s are silent, My Code 5s judder like hell but I think it’s the rear brake mount tab flexing! Next frame will be rear post mount I think!

busydog
    Free Member

It’s been so long since we have seen rain I don’t remember 😆

My Shimano will squeal a bit when wet, but not the howling I have heard from some brakes

old_mtber
    Free Member

Agree about pads. Hope resin pads are quiet but squeal horribly in the wet. Hope sintered are noisier in the dry but less prone to squeal in rain. Personally I always go for sintered now – unless we get a really dry summer?!

Trimix
    Free Member

The squeal is caused by the high speed vibration of the pad on disc. So check the method of retention. You may find if its a spring type you can bend it to improve it. Or check your pistons retract properly, they may be dirty and sticking.

gmex619
    Free Member

My Hopes have never squeaked (besides when I got fluid on the pads and rotor..)

mrmo
    Free Member

i find sintered squeal, organic don’t as a general rule. This is the same callipers, XTR 965, on a variety of discs, shimano, avid, alligator

collinstiffee
    Free Member

the same problem on car calipers is removed with a small amount of copper grease on the piston side.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do all disc brakes squeal in the wet/damp?’ is closed to new replies.