• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Do "4 way" 160mm single crown forks exist?
  • maxtorque

Does anyone do a set of 160mm forks, that have independent 4 way damping adjustment (Hi+Lo speed Compression & rebound), ideally, air sprung?

Rickos
    Free Member

Lyriks with mission control do all that, I’m sure. Marzocchi 55 Might do too, but it might just be the RC3 which are coil.

jam-bo

My lyrik solo airs do

pbooker1995
    Free Member

X Fusion HLR Air have high and low compression and just normal rebound.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I get the feeling you mean “hi and low speed compression and high and low speed rebound”? Not “Hi and low speed compression, and rebound”?
    Not that I know of. If you mean the latter then yeah you’ve got the answers you need above.

dandelion
    Free Member

I think Fox did something like this in 160 with their Talas a year or so ago (before FIT).

dirtydog
    Free Member

I think 3 way is about as good as it gets.

Fox 36RC2s have high and low speed compression and low speed rebound, not come across anything with high and low speed rebound.

tmb467
    Free Member

Don’t know if you’d ever need 4-way damping in a fork

High-speed compression damping will stabilise the initial hit but what would you expect the rebound damping to do?

Just put your weight further back and float more

jam-bo

My lyrik solo airs do

Actually they don’t if you want hi-lo rebound damping.

tmb467
    Free Member

Rockshox do initial and end-stroke rebound damping on the Vivids but only LSC

This is on their shocks where you want the rear wheel to track tho. Not on a fork

maxtorque

Yeah, i want the full monty really, 4 way!

Already have RLC Foxes on the front, but now i have A CC DBair on the back, i’d love a similar amount of tune-ability on the front 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Best wait til. CC release the fork

tmb467
    Free Member

Hehe – just stick on some Pikes and make do 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are the new RS dual flow rebound cartrages internally adjustable? If so that might be the closest you will get. Well unless avalanche of somebody similar do a 4 way.

Northwind

Lyrik lacks the hi-lo rebound but personally, I don’t miss it at all compared to my boxxers anyway, they feel downright odd if you set the hi and lo significantly different, I always end up with the rebound feel basically the same as the lyrik anyway

I’m not sure whether this is a peas-and-mattresses thing or a Northwind’s-senses-are-all-dead thing

maxtorque

But at least with it all being adjustable you can experiment, even if you eventually end up with a similar setting for hi/lo speed. The problem i have is i can never decide if the std factory setting for say low speed compression is decent or not!

Although i can see that sometimes, choice can indeed be the enemy of happiness 😉

Speeder

You’d think that after 15+ years of suspension fork development someone would have offered a 4 way adjustable but they all seem more interested in creating yet another acronym for the marketing department. Maybe it’d be so lost on most of us that it’s not worth it.

Northwind

Wonder if it’d be possible to modify a Lyrik to take the boxxer rebound cartridge. Probably someone would have done it already if it is though.

messiah
    Free Member

But at least with it all being adjustable you can experiment, even if you eventually end up with a similar setting for hi/lo speed. The problem i have is i can never decide if the std factory setting for say low speed compression is decent or not!

Although i can see that sometimes, choice can indeed be the enemy of happiness

There is probably quite a lot of truth in this. I am by my nature a fiddler and a faffer always looking for what is wrong and what I can improve. With all my forks and shocks I tend to fiddle at the start until I get a setting I am happy with, which is invariably a compromise, and then every so often I try to improve upon that setup and make it all worse again 🙄

I was never quite happy with either my Fox 36 RC2 Float or Marzocchi 55 RC3-Ti. Both had traits which I liked and disliked and no amount of fiddling with the adjusters helped without causing other issues. So I bought some Avalanche cartridges for them and have lived happily ever after… without feeling the need to fiddle with any of the settings… not one! They just feel so good in the stadard setting I have not touched them. Same with the CCDB I had; I liked it but I could never get it feeling quite how I wanted all the time, and yet the Avalanche tuned DHX-Air I am running now has required no such faffing and is awesome as stock.

I liked the CCDB and learned a lot about setting up suspension from it (and about how I want my forks to feel as well), but having all the adjustments in the world does not necessarily make the shock or fork feel any better IMHE.

FWIW – buying the Avalanche stuff is expensive and was a bit of a gamble instead of just buying new shiney stuff. The Avy carts allow you to change low rebound and compression, although you can adjust high if willing to take them apart and faff with shim stacks (the guides that Craig has written on how to do this and what changes to make to affect what seem very detailed, although as I wrote above I have not felt the need to change anything).

I’ve written about my forks and shocks on here a few times… I’m a fan of the Avalanche stuff as its the best suspension I have used :mrgreen:

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Maybe it’d be so lost on most of us that it’s not worth it.

Truth, I reckon.

Do pro riders even change this stuff very much?

LoCo
    Free Member

Do pro riders even change this stuff very much?

From my experience they get stuff tuned to what the tuner thinks they need/are told they need and them may tweak it a click or two either way.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Do "4 way" 160mm single crown forks exist?’ is closed to new replies.