Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do 29er Crest Hope Hoops have a weight limit?
  • thedon
    Free Member

Or is this just s STW myth because I can’t find evidence that they do anywhere on Hope’s site, I’ve also looked on the Stans site and no mention of it there either.

I’ve spoken to quite a few people now who have no trouble with them and they are above the supposed 85kg weight limit.

honourablegeorge

Stan’s give a weight limit for their Crest wheesets, but not for the rims. Might have more to do with the spokes they use on their Crest builds (2.0/1.7 Black Stainless) than the rim, I’ve searched everywhere and the wheelsets are the only place I saw a weight limit.

“Max recommended rider weight 190lbs”

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-29er-Stock-Wheelset-P452.aspx

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m 92 kilo’s and had a slight buckle from a stack on the front wheel which straightened out no problem.
    Other than that they’ve been fine for 3 years of use.
    I try and ride light rather than bashing through rock gardens.

bikeneil
    Free Member

If you’re concerned just pop an Arch EX on the back and Crest on the front.

warns74
    Free Member

As already stated the weight limits recommended on the Stans site for 26/29 crest rims is 190 lbs.

Im right on the weight limit, probably a little over once fully kitted up. I found the front crest developed a wobble quite quickly and needed straightening, then when I had a decent “off” the front bent beyond repair. The rear however was faultless and remained totally true the whole time (on a 29 hardtail).

Personally if you are close to the weight limit I would go for the Arch Ex’s.

honourablegeorge

warns74 – Member
    As already stated the weight limits recommended on the Stans site for 26/29 crest rims is 190 lbs.

For the wheelsets, not the rims.

binners

From recent experience of Crest 29er rims on Hope Hoops, we were out on Saturday at Penmachno and after a fairly innocuous off, a mate properly pringled his Stans Crest front wheel. This is a couple of weeks after he’s had the back one rebuilt with a sturdier rim as that seriously lunched itself too. They were only a few of months old! He’s now had to have both of them relaced using more substantial rims. Making that one seriously expensive set of wheels!

If you’re in doubt, go for something more substantial. Or buy a bike with some proper sized wheels 😉

bikeneil
    Free Member

Or buy a bike with some proper sized wheels 

yawn…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 95kg and never had a problem (OEM Rapides, which are essentialy crests with eyelets).

And I’m not the subtlest of riders, I’ve been hospitalised twice whilst riding them!

weeksy

I’m at 90kg and no issues with mine after a year.

thedon
    Free Member

Thanks for your input so far.

Its going to be either Arch or Crest’s but I’m still no closer to deciding.

They will be going on a Solaris, I’m about 14 stone kitted up, ride mainly XC, not to rocky but will be jumping occasionally.

warns74
    Free Member

You’re not far off the weight recommendation of the Crests and well within that of the Arch’s.

Yes…those recommendations are for stans wheelsets and not hope hoops but its a decent enough guide given their intended uses. Crest are aimed at the XC racer / rider, the Archs are XC/All Mountain (which I interpreted as good for all round trail use!).

I bought crests, bent one beyond repair and replaced them both with Arch EX’s, wish Id just bought the Archs from the start and there is only 151 gram weight difference.

Frankers
    Free Member

If you’re that worried and not racing go for Arch EX

My bike has Arch EX i’m 13.5st mates bike has Crest he’s around 16st

I’m not worried about weight, he is 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m ~150lb. I’ve had crest rimmed wheels on my 26″ FS and now my HT, for 18 months, run with Dampf 2.35 snakeskin tyres. Esp. the rear on the HT they have had a battering. The rear knocked out of shape a bit in-use and needed some truing but there has been no crash damage AFAIK. I’ve crashed occasionally so maybe I’ve been lucky, or maybe the tyres are doing a good job of protecting them.

The main issue is that they deflect quite a bit, in the rough, in corners, and when standing up pedalling. But the pay-off is that you feel the benefit of the low weight when you kick the pedals.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do 29er Crest Hope Hoops have a weight limit?’ is closed to new replies.