Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do 26er's exist?
  • astura
    Free Member

Got a spesh big hit 05 I have been building up, Iv been chasing the net for a 24″ wheel for the front to match the back, but I was wonderining if I could stik a 26″ on it?

I have looked on the net and can see that people have tried it before but thre is not much info on this.

What’s the benefits?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Don’t ask on here, they’ll be telling you to put road bike wheels on it.

cookeaa

They originally came with a 26″ front wheel didn’t it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kevolution
    Free Member

The Big Hit from that period ran a 26″ wheel on the front as standard spec.
    The theory on the 24″ rear at the time (there were many, but this was kind of the official one) was that the smaller rear wheel would be stronger and with the same tyre width as the front, would accelerate better out of the gate.(don’t think this was ever really proven)
    Or you could put a higher volume tyre on to add to the cushioning effect and stave off pinch flats.
    I know a few guys that bought a seatstay conversion kit to run a 26″ wheel out back.(with regular spacing, the 24″ was offset definatel up to 2004. Can’t remember if they changed it to regular spacing for the 2005 so an off the shelf 26″ wheel fitted straight in)

scottfitz
    Free Member

As kevolution said that 04 big hit came with big hit 26″ front and 24″ rear wheels. Run it as it was designed, that will work best.
    I used to have one, only had it for 6 months cos it was poo. I suppose that why there so cheap.

Good luck hope you get on with your better than mine, if not buy a 08 glory frame (1 sold on Ebay for £200 last week)

Taff
    Free Member

as said above but you can modify the rear to take 26″

ahwiles
    Free Member

betd make/made a conversion seatstay – they may still have a few…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do 26er's exist?’ is closed to new replies.