Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Do 11 speed road groupsets need special hub?
  • smogmonster

Im after a 2013 11 speed groupset for the roadbike, either Ultegra or DA. Im currently running 2012 Fulcrum Racing Zeros on the bike, with a 10 speed 105 groupset. Will the 11 speed ones be compatible or do i need a 2013 wheelset?

tonyg2003

No. Hubs are 9-10-11 OK.

plus-one

Yes I’ve fitted new dura ace 11 speed to my bike and had to change freehub on my wheels(giant p-slr1) from 10 speed to the 11 speed freehub+end cap

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/dt-swiss-freehub-body-for-11-speed-shimano-compatibility.html

My race wheels I ordered in anticipation of new groupset and made sure they were 11 speed compatible(come with spacer to run 9/10 speed) if you wish..

11 speed shimano the freehub is 1.85mm longer..

Mavic wheels can run 9/10/11 no problem as they already have longer freehub

njee20
    Free Member

Plus one +1

You do need a new freehub body in virtually all cases, ignore Tony.

Mister-P
    Free Member

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collection/road/alu/products/racing-zero

Fulcrum website says they are 11 speed compatible.

tonyg2003

Sorry you guys are right. Just double checked. Very odd from Shimano.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I *think* that for Campag stuff you don’t. Neither the my eastons or Fulcrum wheels needed a new freehub, but for Shimano I think you do.

jayers15
    Free Member

Finnaly, smogmonster, did you change the freehub body of your Fulrum racing 0 2012? Or the freehub already accept shimano 11s? Thanks!

aP
    Free Member

Any 9spd onwards Campagnolo compatible free hub works fine with 11spd.

DanW
    Free Member

Do you have a small spacer installed on your Fulcrum Freehub before you put the cassette on to run your 10 speed set up?

If so, just remove it and you can use an 11 speed cassette fine (just like on a Mavic hub).

If there is no spacer on the freehub to run 10 speed correctly then you’ll need a new longer freehub.

I’m not familiar with Fulcrum hubs but I reckon the presence or not of a spacer is the easiest way to tell if your current freehub is ok for 11 speed

SamB
    Free Member

My Zipps and Chris King R45s both needed new freehub bodies to move from Shimano 10 to 11 speed. That’s not much help wrt Fulcrums though 😛

As DanW says – presence of a spacer behind your current 10-sp cassette is probably the best indication of whether it’s 11-sp compatible.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Pretty much every wheelset you will need a new freehub. Only Mavic Wheels are fully compatible hence the spacer behind the cassette on a 10 speed setup. Take this spacer out when going 11 speed and your sorted.

eshershore
    Free Member

Many 2014 wheels are 11 SPD compatible, but check before buying…

older Zipp wheels were a particular problem in that the wheel had to be rebuilt with the 11 SPD hub, you could not just change the body 🙁

scaredypants

isn’t fulcrum a campagnolo brand ?

If so I’d expect they’ll be built to accommodate a freehub that’s wide enough, even if you have to change it

(anyone know if 10sp shimano hubs can take a 11sp freehub and still fit in a frame ?)

scotroutes

Hmmm – I have a set of Shimano-compatible Prolites that require a spacer with a 10-speed block… Might be an answer tthere?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve recently swapped out Tiagra for 105. The Tiagra 10 spd cassette had a spacer fitted, the 105 cassette didn’t come supplied with one, so I wasn’t sure if the spacer belonged to the hub or the cassette. Some research said that for some reason some Shimano 10 spd cassettes require a spacer, including Tiagra, and some don’t including 105. So the spacer was transferred over with my Tiagra cassette and my 105 cassette was installed without a spacer.

So I don’t think the fact you’ve a spacer with your Shimano cassette necessarily means its 11spd compatible.

oldboy
    Free Member

Got a pair ot unused 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elites ready to build up my first road bike since my teens. Anyone know if the Ultegra 11 speed cassette will fit?

plus-one

^ yes all fine on mavic wheels for 11 speed

oldboy
    Free Member

Thanks, plus one.

jayers15
    Free Member

Finally, We need to change the freehub for fulcrum 2012 wheelset and older.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Do 11 speed road groupsets need special hub?’ is closed to new replies.