Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DMR Vaults – which one is RH/LH side
  • kwack
    Free Member

Bought a pair of these and cant see any markings anywhere to denote which one is driveside etc?

Any clues?

Cheers
    Kwack

Northwind

It’ll only thread in one way round. Well, it’ll thread in either way with enough force! But you can do it by trial and error

gonzy
    Free Member

should be some markings on the end of the axles

mintimperial

Look at the threads.

Pictures here.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

put them on the floor next to each other, stand behind them, the writing on the pedals should be the right way up…
    if they arnt then they are the wrong way round, and you have the RH on the LH side…

miranmtb
    Free Member

the wide edge is facing forward, the narrower one is on the back

honourablegeorge

Drive side

kwack
    Free Member

trial and error screws the threads up doesnt it

Northwind

Only if you actually force it into the wrong one. Which some folks will do to be fair, so it’s advice to be taken with caution but done with any care it’s absolutely fine.

Looks like there are other ways to do it with these pedals which remove even that risk though

wilko1999
    Free Member

The non-drive side pedal has a groove around the ‘flange’ on the axle that tightens up against the crank.

timmys

trial and error screws the threads up doesnt it

If someone can’t see the difference between the threads without “trial and error” then they really, really need to step away from the spanners.

chief1409
    Free Member

I can’t actually remember but i’d have thought it was obvious from the writing as you’ll be able to read vault when on the bike and its not upside down….

kwack
    Free Member

If someone can’t see the difference between the threads without “trial and error” then they really, really need to step away from the spanners.

Very good – was trying to see whether there was a simple way to tell the difference. Previous pedals have had R/L on them..

I can see now that there is a difference as pointed out above – Without resorting to looking a the way the thread is pitched. I can build a bike like the best of em!!!

Do not do trial and error as this leads to stripped threads, mashed bolts,,,smashed bearings etc etc But thanks for teaching me how to look a a thread pitch

alaric

Put one thumbnail in the thread of one of the pedals and turn the axle with the other hand. If clockwise makes it “screw in” that’s the RH pedal…

Similar to trial and error but with no risk of the ham fisted messing up their cranks…

nedrapier

Also, with any thread and any bolt, you really shouldn’t be screwing the thread up.

Start out slow and careful with loosey-goosey finger tightening, if it’s not going in squarely and with evenly increasing tightness (ie not loose – tight – loose – tight) something’s wrong, back it out and try again.

If you’ve made a mistake you’ve got plenty of clues before you start to mash threads.

bigyinn
    Free Member

There is no way you’d ruin anything by trial and error unless you’re a completely ham fisted idiot and force the pedal in.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DMR Vaults – which one is RH/LH side’ is closed to new replies.