Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DMR Trailstar to…
  • giantalkali
    Free Member

Hello, coming from many years of riding a Trailstar and also having a Pitch, can anyone make a suggestion of a light but slack and capable frame. I weigh in at a paltry 9 stone / 60kg so a really meaty build isn’t necessary, the Trailstar is a beauty, but is there something else that’s

26″ wheel
    16″ ish frame
    1/18th steerer
    Will work with a 130mm fork
    2nd hand

What should I be looking for? A Cotic Bfe but lighter built? A 456 summer season but less dead feeling ( I had one, it felt dead) . Something aluminium? Help me stw, you’re my only hope

honourablegeorge

Second hand Stanton Slackline sounds right up your whatsit

giantalkali
    Free Member

What’s the difference between a slackline and the other Stanton that’s similar?

Retrodirect
    Free Member

The thing which made the trailstar feel like a trailstar was the relatively slack seat angle with a steep head-angle. It made for a short wheelbase bike which was very maneouverable. The current crop of hardcore hardtails is nothing like it, the angles are at the opposite extremes, they favour a riding style which is up over the front pushing weight through the bars to load the fork.

Why do you need a new bike? another trailstar? If it suits?

giantalkali
    Free Member

I don’t need anything new, I ragged the Trailstar round Innerleithen a few months back and it was just fine, I’ve got the pitch for steeper stuff, just wondered If I was missing anything important. Dartmoor Primal cheap new on eBay for 160ish

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for the Slackline here.

Loved mine

I thought it was a much nicer bike to ride than the BFe it replaced; it felt a lot lighter and less harsh. They’re an absolute hoot.

psycorp
    Free Member

The older Primal’s aren’t so well thought of. The newer ones are much closer to a Hornet so I’ve read. I’ve just bought a Primal plus so I’ll be able to tell you what it’s like in a week or so.

jam-bo

New DMR trailstar?

buckster
    Free Member

Cant praise this enough, beautiful, well made, fine riding frame

Commencal
    75 SA
    63 HA

DMR
    72 HA
    66 SA

I appreciate their is a load of other considerations but this gives a fair indication of intent for the frame. I think both are 650b now.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Just back from another Trailstar flavoured grin-fest, the thing is so bloody great that, sod it, I’m keeping it.

Maybe it’s not so fast or so confidence inspiring as newer frame geometry, but hold tight and lean hard and it’s as rewarding a ride as I can handle.

RustyNissanPrairie

Evil Sovereign. Best 26″, 1 1/8″ hardtail ever.

If you think a DMR is good…………..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DMR Trailstar to…’ is closed to new replies.