Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DMR Bolt owners – headset question
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Realise there probably aren’t too many Bolt owners but i’m having a bit of a headset issue with mine.

The top cap bolt has had to be bolted down much tighter than I ever would dare on most bikes and although there is no movement in the steerer/headset there is an occasional and irritating clicking. I’ve stripped down the front end twice in the space of a couple of weeks, packed it with grease and each time had to tighten down the bolt excessively which remedies the clicking but after a couple days riding it returns.

I can’t work out why it keeps coming back with a New frame, new fork, new headset.

lw246
    Free Member

had this with my bfe after dropping the forks out the other day. To fix I dropped the forks out and greased the lower & upper race. Seems to have stopped it. Just need to stop the stem creaking now…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well, i’ve packed it with grease this time around so hopefully that resolves it. Incidentally how tight do people generally find they tighten their stem cap bolts? It’s not something I’ve ever had call to worry about before – just tightened until no play and smooth steering, never had any issue before.

ajantom

No clicking with mine, though it had developed a small amount of fore-aft movement when I checked before the ride yesterday.
    I do agree that I’ve had to tighten the top-cap bolt tighter than I normally would have, but it doesn’t seem to have caused any binding. Maybe this is due to the style of headset where the bearings sit directly in the headtube? Anyway, lots of grease seems to be the answer!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DMR Bolt owners – headset question’ is closed to new replies.