Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DMR Bolt
  • gringo

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Bored at work and thinking about possibly replacing my Dialled Alpine.

thepodge
    Free Member

There was a STW review of one ages back. Would like one myself but they seem a little heavy and even the long one is a bit short

VanHalen

they get decent reviews but are lot of money for something quite heavy.

I`d love one though.

bit short is good unless you live in the alps. i recon anyway.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve got a Bolt Long. Like it a lot. I’ve just been to Fort William and done the Red and World Cup courses on it. Great bike for that sort of thing – truly indestructible. I’ve basically built it up as a downhill-light bike that suits everything up to where my skills and bravery reach their limit. SLX kit with Rockshox Sektors, Stans Flows and some big Maxxis tyres make for a lot of downhill fun on a reasonably modest budget.

The obvious negative is that it’s a bit heavier than some but then I suspect it’s a lot stronger than some too. It also has to run 1x as there’s no room for a front mech. Neither of these things bothered me when I bought it and they still don’t. As thepodge says, they’re shorter than bikes in fashion right now but for me I tend to be hanging off the back pointing downhill most of the time anyway so I’m not too worried about that (I’m 6′ 4”). Another negative might be that you’d be limited in choice if considering a dropper post as the seatpost is 27.2mm.

In terms of pedaling it’s not too bad at all. I’ve got the standard x-fusion shock on and it’s fine but would probably be improved with a pro pedal or something like that. I’ve taken it around Glentress, Comrie, Laggan etc. with no problems and have done plenty of natural trails but it certainly isn’t one for eating up the miles on fire roads.

Another negative might be that you’d be limited in choice if considering a dropper post as the seatpost is 27.2mm.

Given that you’re replacing a fairly aggressive hardtail it sounds like it’d be perfect unless it’ll then be your only bike. There are better options out there if a do it all is what’s needed.

gringo

Thanks all, some really helpful information there!

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Gringo, I’ve decided to sell my Bolt Long as I’ve come to accept that it’s just too small for me. I’m initially trying to sell the whole bike but may end up splitting and selling frame and shock only. I wondered if it was of any interest to you?

stripeminister
    Free Member

i’ve just taken the plunge. just bought a mk1 frame to compliment my 456 hardtail, gonna run it single speed for uplifts until finds allow any gears…

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted one of these and was seriously tempted by the one in the classifieds but I’ve just sold my 26 full suspension & Moved 29

gringo

Whereisthurso – i’ve seen it and keep coming back to your advert. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested! Seriously going to struggle getting it past the wife though. Any idea what you’d be looking at price wise for the frame and shock?

Cheers
    Glenn

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Hoping to sell it whole Glenn but maybe if you make me an offer I’ll find it hard to resist. The frame and shock will come with the fsa headset if I do decide to split.

Cheers

Big-M
    Free Member

They seem to fly pretty well, even if you ride like a girl!

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/425599/

gringo

Will see what I can do…

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Now posted in the classifieds.

[/URL]]

gringo

Sorry for not getting back to you…thought long and hard about this but I just cant justify it as we’ve just found out that there is a mini gringo on the way. Good luck with the sale!

whereisthurso
    Free Member

No worries. Good luck with mini gringo!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DMR Bolt’ is closed to new replies.