Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Django Unchained. (may eventually contain spoilers, but not in the OP)
  • FeeFoo
    Free Member

Usually like Tarantino’s stuff but jeez that was poor.

Seemed to me to be a typically white version of slavery. Too much joyful shock-use of the N word.
    Blazing Saddles type bit was painful.

Samuel L Jackson doing his usual S L J stuff. “Mutha-f*****”‘s completely out of context and period.
    And ridiculous last half hour.

Woeful.

noteeth
    Free Member

I enjoyed Reservoir dogs and Jackie Brown – but beyond that, I find Tarantino immensely irritating.

Woeful

Ian Jack takes a pretty dim view of it, too: All that bloody mayhem and we’re still supposed to take Django Unchained seriously?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Usually like Tarantino’s stuff but jeez that was poor.

Seemed to me to be a typically white version of slavery. Too much joyful shock-use of the N word.
    Blazing Saddles type bit was painful.

Samuel L Jackson doing his usual S L J stuff. “Mutha-f*****”‘s completely out of context and period.
    And ridiculous last half hour.

Woeful.

Do you seriously think a Tarantino film is meant to be a historical representation of the slave trade era?

It was a revenge film for the black American population.

That’s it, just like there were no jewish commando’s let loose in France to club German officers to death and scalp them in WW2.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Ian Jack takes a pretty dim view of it, too: All that bloody mayhem and we’re still supposed to take Django Unchained seriously?

Even though I’m a lefty, I can’t take any lefties seriously when they try to draw parallels between a film and a school shooting.

My brain had a blue screen of death when I got to that point in the review.

noteeth
    Free Member

they try to draw parallels between a film and a school shooting.

Maybe – but his point about the Don Mccullin documentary is, er, bang on.

I really don’t like QT in interviews. Gives me the creeps.

lunge

Great film, really enjoyed it. A but funny, nicely gruesome and a few clever bits as well. Well worth a watch in my eyes.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Maybe – but his point about the Don Mccullin documentary is, er, bang on.

I really don’t like QT in interviews. Gives me the creeps.

Again, the reviewer misses the point of QT. He satirizes violence, the absurdity of the violence is meant to make you feel uncomfortable about it.

noteeth
    Free Member

Again, the reviewer misses the point of QT.

Nah… I get the “satire” (generally speaking, it bores me) – I just don’t like him. 😈 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

Nah… I get the “satire” (generally speaking, it bores me) – I just don’t like him.

You might do but that reviewer didn’t. I like high brow Terrance Malick type films but I do like Tarintino films for what they are – totally mental and absurdity personified.

Just how I like Beethoven and eminem. Horses for courses.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Again, the reviewer misses the point of QT. He satirizes violence, the absurdity of the violence is meant to make you feel uncomfortable about it.

Exactly. Summarises QT film perfectly.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

QT makes films because he loves film. He loves the art of making film, he rarely sets out to make a political or social point and any reviewer who believes he does doesn’t understand QT well enough to take his films for what they are.

He’s a passionate film maker who has a desire to tell stories in the most absurdly cinematic way he possibly can. He’s had a few misses but generally I think he is a quite brilliant screen writer/director

bwaarp
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

drlex
    Free Member

In Django, I’d almost separate the violence into absurd (accuracy of shooting, blood fountains, dynamite-explosion) & uncomfortable (Mandingo fighting, dog attack, heat torture, hammer-wielding). The former befell white characters for the most part; the latter the black ones. (substitute “European American” & “African American” if preferred)

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Do you seriously think a Tarantino film is meant to be a historical representation of the slave trade era?

No, I understand it’s a bit of throw away trash fun and not a historical documentary.
    I’d still like to see him use SLJ for more than doing indignant, menacing, Jools-type speeches interspersed with “mf”.

The part where “Steven” psychically worked out that Django was connected to his wife at the dinner table was just lazy.
    Also, QT’s accent went from Dick van Dyke, to Crocodile Dundee in two sentences.

Lifer
    Free Member

Fantastic film and brilliant western. For me pacing and length were spot on, casting and dialogue perfect.

Definitely want to know the story behind red bandana woman!

And FeeFoo Ben’s whole blustering ‘out of context’ act was just that, an act. Thought it was very much apparent he was pulling the strings of Candie Land a lot more than you’d think from the first impression.

Don’t understand the lazy comment either? He noticed the looks between them and Django’s reaction when he was intimidating her…?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Enjoyed half of it on the train to work this morning.

Am looking forward to the journey home.

(I usually do anyway though!)

Drac

Got to see it at last.

Fantastic so many tributes to Westerns of past, some brilliant characters and some fantastic acting.

Tarantino when he’s good is bloody excellent.

BruceWee

Definitely want to know the story behind red bandana woman!

Very disappointing explanation:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/django-unchaineds-masked-character-explained.html

Makes you wonder why didn’t they just cut her out altogether

alpin
    Free Member

saw it the other week on my own. thought “meh”. was ok, entertaining but not amazing.

don’t understand why QT films generate such hype. and i didn’t realise QT was in it… who was he?

Drac

The big tall guy where the 4 take Django away after being captured.

I thought I heard his voice as one of the lynch mob complaining about the hoods too.

cupra
    Free Member

Good film but the Tarantino scenes were poor and somewhat out of place and overall for me the film was at least 40 mins to long and dragged a bit.

DezB
    Free Member

the Tarantino scenes
    I though he was only in 1 scene?

Wife said it was long, but I didn’t notice.

mboy
    Free Member

Saw it last night.

Typical Tarrantino (which in my eyes is a good thing), but some people looking way too deeply for high brow entertainment on this thread. Tarrantino is one of, if not the best film makers in history at certain types of film… Gritty, Over the Top, Revenge Films. It’s what he does better than anyone, and this was a brilliant example of that.

It’s very rare I feel uncomfortable watching a film also, but I did in parts in this film. It’s not the comedy bloodshed (not as OTT as Kill Bill for certain), or the fact that nobody except Django ever seems to be able to shoot straight, but it’s the stuff they don’t show you (or at least it’s out of focus in the background) that really churns your stomach, cos it leaves the disgustingly brutal info for your brain to process itself. The visual bloodshed is part of the comedy, the real violence gets left to your imagination!

Great film, highly recommended. But don’t go to see it if you’re easily offended!

Drac

There was a very mixed audience when I seen it yesterday afternoon and it was full which is very rare midweek in term time. There was 2 old ladies in the same row as me, they laughed at all the jokes and the most of the violence took me by surprise.

hora
    Free Member

Bought it cheep on DVD. Not his best. I part expected Black Dynamite to do a cameo. It seemes part-parody to me.

Samuel L Jackson was good though.

grum
    Free Member

Meh. I’d rather either watch a serious drama/action film or a straight schlocky B movie. This tries to be both and it doesn’t work. Far too long as well. I’d much rather watch Machete or From Dusk ‘Til Dawn which are far less pretentious.

Started quite well but it all fell apart from me when Django had a long, boring conversation with Leonardo DiCaprio’s character.

He can certainly direct a mean action sequence though, I’ll give him that.

croen
    Free Member

Whenever someone mentions Django, I always think of this.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh.

I watched Death Proof recently cos I’d enjoyed Django and fancied a bit more Tarantino. I can imagine people not liking it as it is mostly dialogue and a small bit of cartoonish violent action. I loved it though! A perfect Taratino fix. Incredible women in it too 🙂

Northwind

Needed more Christoph Waltz tbh. Really enjoyed it, loved the soundtrack. The plot didn’t make an awful lot of sense when you stop and think it through but it carried itself along well.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Django Unchained. (may eventually contain spoilers, but not in the OP)’ is closed to new replies.