Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DJ Shadow kicked off the decks
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

DJ Shadow was kicked off the decks in Miami for playing a set which was “too future”. He has now posted THAT MIX on Soundcloud. It sounds quite a lot like the stuff he played at Freeze Festival which had the crowd rocking hard 8)

theflatboy
    Free Member

how odd. but cheers for the d/l link, will get on that!

scaled
    Free Member

just skipped about in that mix – definitely a PSA 😀

sc-xc

Can you download from there? Can’t see a button ❓

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve been to Mansion a couple of times (both for birthday parties, neither by choice!) and it truly is hell. It’s like XS/Pure/Tao, where people just want to sit around and spend money on overpriced booze.

No idea why you’d ever book Shadow for there, his agent is as much to blame as anyone.

On the upside, I got chatting to a couple of guys for London last time I was there, who were about to leave to see their mates DJ once they’d met another couple of friends. I asked if they were any good, which they assured me there were, so we all headed off to the Palms Hotel and saw Jody Wisternoff and Nick Warren playing to a crowd of 300 🙂 One of the best nights I’ve ever had!

scaled
    Free Member

^ soundcloud download link

sc-xc

Wonderful, thank you

scruff
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

The track that broke the promoters back…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1h70-I1aE[/video]

mangoridebike

cool – thanks for the link

zbonty

Err, kicked off after twenty minutes but the sets an hour and a half?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

nowt wrong with that, different yes, but that’s progression.

I get the feeling they thought they were going to get a run through of Endtroducing or Brainfreeze

Jamie
    Free Member

Err, kicked off after twenty minutes but the sets an hour and a half?

Probably had a set list he was going to do, and just recorded it later on. Or, as most pros do, had already rehearsed the mix and recorded one of those.

zbonty

Rehearsing a mix is plain wrong, though perhaps more acceptable(just) given his style/creativity.
    Although turning up with a pre-planned set leaves no room to be spontaneous. Does’nt sound like a venue where you’d feed off the crowd though!

Its all publicity though.

TooTall
    Free Member

The track that broke the promoters back…

which isn’t a shock. It is mostly a bit rubbish and sounds like it was assembled by simians with ADHD. IMHO of course.

Jamie
    Free Member

IMHO of course.

*cancels visit to TooTall’s premium nightspot*

kuman
    Free Member

My 8weeks old has just fallen to sleep listening to it after he cried all morning 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I thought it started off boring but gets better.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

well, I though of sort the job of a decent DJ was to follow the vibe of the crowd, and if your mix is not going down that well, react to it.

if you’re going to prep a session in advance and not change it, then hell, you might as well just put a mix tape on….

yunki
    Free Member

Probably had a set list he was going to do, and just recorded it later on. Or, as most pros do, had already rehearsed the mix and recorded one of those.

Or had pre-recorded the mix onto USB and planned to spend the evening on the floor of the booth with coke and hookers..

nice mix

RealMan
    Free Member

Well I thought it started off boring but gets better.

+1

Jamie
    Free Member

well, I though of sort the job of a decent DJ was to follow the vibe of the crowd, and if your mix is not going down that well, react to it.

The crowd were loving it. It was the promoters, and probably some douche bags in the VIP area, that got it stopped.

Evidence:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3sO0Se-NT0[/video]

…also, as the, and I never thought I would say this, comment on youtube rightly says:

“….when you get hired for a gig it’s because of the music you play, you don’t switch your style? to match the other DJ’s at that club….”

D0NK

did he not do requests then?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I’ve spotted the problem. No Tigerfeet or other 80’s classics. Rubbish.

*downloads*

theflatboy
    Free Member

You’d be pretty pissed off if you’d paid for your ticket on the basis of seeing a full length DJ Shadow set and it got curtailed after less than half of it. I’d be straight to ask for my money back!

TooTall
    Free Member

*cancels visit to TooTall’s premium nightspot*

Your name’s not down……

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tch! He didn’t get the chance to finish with “Sailing”…

MrSparkle

did he not do requests then?

Oh yes. They asked him to piss off and he did!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DJ Shadow kicked off the decks’ is closed to new replies.