Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DIYworld – Levelling very uneven garage floor
  • samuri
    Free Member

We’re going to tile the garage floor so we can use the garage for my wife’s business.

It’s about 18sqm and is currently concrete covered in floor paint.
    I’ve now cleared the garage out and started examining the floor. I always knew it was a bit uneven but hadn’t really understood quite how bad it was. There’s a clear overall drop from the back to the front, I’d say about 4-6cm based on assuming the bricks are level. There’s also some dips and peaks, the concrete dips a few cm below the rest at one point for sure. And it’s all very uneven.

Now originally I thought I’d just be able to spread some leveller on it, go to bed and wake up with a flat floor but I don;t think that’s going to work now, especially since I’m tiling over it which I assume will highlight any height differences.

What now?

Re-concrete? Just keep levelling? Level the bumps out and angle the tiles gently? Go for it.

Ta.

samuri
    Free Member

ooops, sorry. Wrong forum by accident

trout
    Free Member

paint should be removed as it will be the weakest link in anything you want to bond to the concrete
    then screed it level / smooth

if you are using vynil tiles then you must check the moisture content and whether there is a damp proof membrane in the floor

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

How do I remove floor paint?

I presume by screed you mean lay some even slats and level concrete over them?

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, I’ve just watched a guy screed a floor. That looks hard.

Mike_D
    Free Member

There’s probably a deliberate slope so any water drains onto the driveway.

Do you need to use the whole garage for whatever the business is? Do you still need to be able to park a car in it?

tymbian
    Free Member

leave it all as it is and use

Fermacell dry floor screed system..

samuri
    Free Member

The garage is effectively sealed at ground level. On one end there’s a utility room which is already tiled, at the other there’s a large strip of wood acting as a ledge. It is quite possible that before the garage was built (it’s not part of the original build), the entire drive sloped towards the road so that’s a fair point, thanks Mike.

No need for cars and things inside the garage, the plan at the moment is to use it for a dog grooming business so there will be cages and a low sink and grooming tables in there. But the floor needs to be level, waterproof and easy to clean.

(i’m not sure that dry screed is for me)

So from what I can gather I need to do the following:
    1. Remove all the paint, clean concrete.
    2. Batten out the entire floor so I have a level guide that is perfectly horizontal.
    3. Get that screed on the floor, run a piece of timber over it to make it level, smooth it off with a plasterers trowel.
    4. Let it go off
    5. Not sure if I need to use leveller at that point but lets assume not.
    6. Tile.

Sound good?

wwaswas

Is there going to be a drain somewhere in the floor?

Could it be made to have a grid at floor level?

Then would it be worth building the floor so it all slopes (slightly) towards the drain and then any surface water will naturally run into it and when mopping etc it’ll be just a case of ‘sweeping’ surface water to the drainage point?

samuri
    Free Member

I have thought about a drain, just one that sits flush with the tiles and runs out onto the drive but I’ve not been able to find anything low profile enough.

I think I will try and build a very slight slope towards the front of the garage and then cut out part of the wood ledge so it can just flow over that and onto the drive.

natrix
    Free Member

leave it all as it is and use

Fermacell dry floor screed system..

You still need to level the floor before you fit the Fermacell.

Once you have levelled the floor you might as well just tile it, so I can’t see how the Fermacell would help……….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DIYworld – Levelling very uneven garage floor’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts