Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DIYTrackWorld – Concreting over a soil pipe
  • torsoinalake
    Free Member

We have moved the bathroom in our house, and need to get rid of an old soil pipe.

While most of our house has suspended floors, the back room where the loo was has a concrete floor. The soil pipe is set into the floor vertically – it’s clay, the couplings to the pan are plastic.

Having a quick look around on the internet, the consensus seems to be stuffing the pipe with newspaper, chopping out the clay pipe to just below flush with the existing floor, then concrete over (the newspaper will work as a plug then rot away).

Does this sound about right, or anything else to think about?

wrightyson
    Free Member

You’re better of going and buying a 4″ pipe testing bung. Not expensive will seal it properly as in smell wise and then screed over that. Safe in the knowledge you’ve done it properly and not allowing anything down the run.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Expanding pipe bung

You really don’t want any gas coming back up!

wrightyson
    Free Member

But ring your local builders merchant because they shouldn’t be £17.

wwaswas

Also be I think you need to be aware that any works involving soil pipes are now notifiable to building control.

footflaps

Also be I think you need to be aware that any works involving soil pipes are now notifiable to building control.

Personally I’d just block it up with expanding foam, pour in some concrete as a cap, scree over it and not tell anyone…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

mogrim

Personally I’d just block it up with expanding foam, pour in some concrete as a cap, scree over it and not tell anyone…

That’s positively Spanish in its approach to regulatory approval!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Next time I have a shit I’m gonna ring building control 😉

footflaps

That’s positively Spanish in its approach to regulatory approval!

If it was Spanish in building quality you’d just cover the end of the pipe in cling film, skim over with 0.001″ of screed and leave it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DIYTrackWorld – Concreting over a soil pipe’ is closed to new replies.