• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DIY Wheelbuildering Question
  • scruff
    Free Member

I want to take off a damaged Mavic 719 and put on a Mavic 819, using the ‘tape rims together move spokes over’ method. 32h Hope XC rear, think its 3x.

DT spoke calc says 719 needs 257mm spokes 819 needs 260mm.

Should I be able to use same spokes and just swap rims?

(I guess my wheel may not actually have exactly 257mm spokes, and not sure of nipple length, as UST may need longer nipples ?)

Any advice appreciated.

lovewookie

it’ll probably be fine. The DT calculator is normally a bit out.

You may requite new nipples, you should be using 16mm long ones for the 819, though short ones (12mm) may do the trick, it depends what spoke key your using.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

i would buy new nipples as this will make the tensioning bit a lot easier. if you put a drop of finish line green (or any wet cycle lube) on the spoke heads before you build you wont have the horrible squak when tensioning. it helps hold the spoke better too.

sheldon browns website is excellent if you get a bit stuck.

good luck

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto – it’ll probably be fine – impossible to say for sure without knowing what yours actually are though.

roughneck
    Free Member

Ask Roger Musson at prowheel

scruff
    Free Member

Thinking about it, do you need something special for the UST nipple bolt rim things?

clubber
    Free Member

IIRC no, you don’t – standard nipples fit into a sort of eyelet that then screws into the rim.

scruff
    Free Member

yeah, thats what I mwant, do they eyelets need taking out before you put the nipples in then put both into rim?

snakebite
    Free Member

you have big nipples as well as moobs.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yup, the eyelets need to be slid on to the spoke, nipple screwed on, and then screwed in to the rim using the Mavic tool.

Del

i’d replace the spokes myself, but it’s your wheel and your time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DIY Wheelbuildering Question’ is closed to new replies.