Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DIY Waterproof shorts?!?!
  • vonplatz
    Free Member

I went and bought a pair of TLD shorts from Aliexpress and although happy with the product they don’t match my endura singletracks in terms of quality by a long shot.

I’m in the market for a pair of waterproof shorts but I’m a bit taken aback by prices, so it occured to me that I would quite like to waterproof an existing pair of shorts, ie the knock off TLDs.

Has anyone tried waterproofing using this magic stuff? I’m a bit concerned about how it would stand up to abrasion from the saddle, right in the area you need it most!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE[/video]

TooTall
    Free Member

Instead of buying knockoff crap, just buy some military surplus Goretex trousers and cut them down. It’s what people round here do.

vonplatz
    Free Member

They’re even cheaper than the spray! Ta very much

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Won’t work on shorts. It doesn’t work well on anything that moves, just comes off too quickly. I tried it on an old pear of 5:10’s. When I first put it on it seemed perfect, I could spray them with a hose and it just ran off. Trouble is by the end of one ride it had come off bits like the tounge. I would imagine on a pair of shorts it wouldn’t last up the first hill.

Still great stuff for playing with.

As a side note, I’m a massive fan of MT500 shorts, just waterproof enough but don’t sweat like mad.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Board shorts aka surf shorts are quite good, they do get wet but dry very quickly and are pretty good for shorter rides in the rain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DIY Waterproof shorts?!?!’ is closed to new replies.