Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DIY trying stand – ideas please?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Have found a place which can do very cheap laser cutting and folding of steel sheets, so I’m trying to come up with a design for a truing standing using these two methods – I can tap out any holes afterwards, but no welding! The three parts will be laser cut from 5mm plate (I want it to be heavy and sturdy!) and the uprights folded to 90-degrees. One will be bolted down into tapped holes in the base, the other will have wingnuts to allow it to slide in and out for front/rear wheels. I was thinking of just using magnetic-base dial gauges to measure the wobble. That way I can move the dial gauge around depending on what I’m measuring. Is this a good plan, or should I have some sort of fixed feelers to measure side-to-side and up-and-down simultaneously? Have built a few wheels before but generally just using the bike frame, a pencil and couple of elastic bands!

Would be grateful for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I’d buy the wheel pro book and use his plans, I looked at getting his design lasered or routered out of ply or mdf a few years ago but never got round to it I the end. Though it looks like your design is nearly there anyway.

timba
    Free Member

You might find a couple of ideas here:
    Bikehacks
    Blog

paladin

Larger base so you can put gauging device on it too. (I built the one from the wheelpro book, looks fairly similar to yours)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DIY trying stand – ideas please?’ is closed to new replies.