Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • DIY trails damaging land and unsafe
  • LD
    Free Member

Has this been done, couldn’t find anything on it. Heard on the news while driving home from riding some enduro trails! Agree to a certain extent but sounds like they want to keep us on purpose built trails which is not good !

Pyro

That’s one of those things that comes back to Rule 1.

Riding man-made trails, okay.
    Riding natural trails, okay.
    (Since this is Scotland I’ll leave out the ‘riding cheeky footpath trails, okay-ish/not-okay-ish’)
    Digging your own trails across someone else’s land without permission, not okay.

I’d disagree with the “sounds like they want to keep us on purpose built trails” – they want people to stop digging bits out of their estate, and I’d agree with that. You can ride natural trails without digging stuff up.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Link not working..

Northwind

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42236259

Fixed link.

Story seems a wee bit odd, it says “It said among places where footpaths had been damaged by mountain bikers was Sutherland Estate, near Golspie.
    The estate has since laid out miles of mountain bike trails at a cost of £600,000.”. That’d make it ancient history they’re talking about, pre-Golspie trailcentre.

Wild trails definitely can be a problem of course. But equally they can be a great resource- the tweed valley’s gone from strength to strength in recent years almost entirely due to wild trails (and the new official trails we’ve built have come largely off the back of that, too)

tjagain

Its about people digging their own trails without permission. Not on at all. We have right to roam. that cannot be taken away.

trail digging in most cases IMO is vandalism and bang out of order

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, we should know our place, really….

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ll go along with that Pyro..unless of course it is with the permission of the landowner.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I don’t get this “digging trails”. I’ve been riding off-road for 30 years and never done or felt the need to. There’s so much to ride anyway. Any if I want something a bit crazier (not that West Yorks and the Peaks isn’t crazy) then I’m not far from a trail centre.

But that isn’t the cool way nowadays is it? No cares for anyone else, not even for other riders in the future who might suffer from their activities.

Pyro

Yes, we should know our place, really….

For the sake of clarity Nobeer, was that intended as sarcasm? Genuine question before I make an ass(umption) of myself.

BoardinBob

trail digging in most cases IMO is vandalism and bang out of order

By that logic there would be nothing outside the official 7 stanes trails in the Tweed valley (and no Dunkeld etc)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pyro, myself and TJ have discussed this before, just a knowing nod his way….

Point is, it’s not black and white, I dig in a local wood and on a moor, both of which are not ‘natural’ in any way whatsoever.

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

By that logic there would be nothing outside the official 7 stanes trails in the Tweed valley

TBH without prehistoric glentress and innerleithen maybe there’d have been no 7 stanes.

There’s basically 3 big considerations- contention (ie conflict with others), damage (ie do you leave a permanent negative impact) and risk (ie does the landowner face a potential negative impact from hazards). And these mostly come down to where you build and how you build. Good builders tend to understand the boundaries pretty well.

TJ, I’m pretty sure you’ve ridden an unofficial trail i built, one time on a pentlands ride… And you’ve almost certainly ridden trails that have been unofficially maintained or modified by me, because pretty much everyone who rides in the pentlands has. Equally, I’ve destroyed stuff other people built because it was plain stupid (jumps in poet’s glen ffs!)

tjagain

Hence I put ” in most cases” sure plantation forestry is a mess anyway. Moorland? depends on the habitat

By that logic there would be nothing outside the official 7 stanes trails in the Tweed valley (and no Dunkeld etc)

Yup – fine by me. No digging without the landowners permission would seem to fit with “don’t be a dick”

tjagain

TJ, I’m pretty sure you’ve ridden an unofficial trail i built, one time on a pentlands ride… And you’ve almost certainly ridden trails that have been unofficially maintained or modified by me, because pretty much everyone who rides in the pentlands has

Oh I maintain trails a bit as well. NO issue with that or with making them bike friendly. Remember I tried really hard with the pentlands trail maintenance stuff Just a huge issue with digging trails without permission. Which one did you build?

Pyro

Ah, fair enough Nobeer. Thought it was safer to ask rather than jump in with both feet firmly in mouth.

I’d agree it’s a grey area, but in my mind at least it’s not that grey. Yes, you have to have somewhere to start from, but the OP’s post (at least the way I read it) seemed very ‘us & them’, and I think digging and development only works if you’re working with the landowners.

Up in the Lakes, we had issues in Setmurthy forest with unofficial trails being dug which were great fun (having ridden but shamefully never dug on them), but did come under ‘dangerous to other users’ in places – a road gap drop over a fairly well-used footpath for example. Once the diggers actually talked to the FC and got a framework to work to, safety guidelines etc, things became more official and it kept everyone happy. Okay, it’s had a bit of a flare-up recently as the original diggers with the FC relationship and contacts have all semi-retired, and newer people have started going outside the framework because contact’s been lost a bit. But ultimately it’s their land, and if they don’t want you digging bits of it up I’d say that’s fair enough.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Im being slightly hypocritical here too ..
    I thing nothing of riding moorland & mountain footpaths in England..so just as guilty ?
    I’ve done my share of trailbuilding over the years ..but have never created one away from an official trail centre .
    The trails at Golfie & Inners are made with a blind eye from the F.C…they won’t think twice about closing them when it’s time for harvesting …

Northwind

Quite a lot of wee bits around harlaw (if it feels like it’s been there for a long time, but you’re not sure if it’s been there for a long time, probably me)

ianbradbury

Given what some landowners in the Cairngorm do by way of creating vehicle tracks, I struggle to sympathise I’m afraid.

DickBarton

“access taker” what is that?
    7 Stands happened due to a number of things as well as a farming disaster (foot and mouth), it wasn’t just Glentress but it contributed.
    I don’t get the vandalism that now seems rife in this sport. A lot is down to lack of ability, other cases thinking they can do what they like and a disregard for land ownership.
    I’m all for building on sanctioned space and building to the upper limits of permission but I don’t get the need to just turn up and try to build something that is largely inappropriate.
    The traffic in a number of bike routes has also increased significantly over the years so some ‘damage’ could be down to the trail just not handling the volume.
    A lot of contributing factors in some cases.

Sanny
    Free Member

It is an interesting area. One of the great challenges is that in the Tweed Valley, trails are popping up so frequently that there are now more wild trails than sustainably built and maintained. I’ve ridden a fair number of them and there are definite issues in terms of erosion, unsafe exit points, disturbance of habitat, construction in areas prone to tree fall, paths built beneath hung up trees etc. A further complication comes when riders continue to ride trails in restricted areas during harvesting. Signs are ignored on the basis of having done so before and nothing bad happened. This isn’t a guarantee of future safety and ignores just how dangerous tree felling operations are.

The National Access Forum have instigated a review of legal precedent in this area while Police Scotland have started taking notice too with regards to criminal damage. The challenge for land owners comes in terms of discharging their responsibilities for ensuring safe access to their land. In Moray last year, a young rider was killed on a wild trail which exited onto a minor road resulting in him being hit by a car. So who does responsibility lie with here? The builder? The land owner? Who should be responsible for monitoring and inspecting the trails to ensure they are safe? Who should pay for this? I don’t know the answer to these but these are the issues that are coming increasingly to the fore.

Wild build is very much on the radar of land owners and is only going to come more into the spotlight.

Thoughts?

Sanny

BoardinBob

No digging without the landowners permission

Plenty of stuff gets built in the valley and beyond without the landowners permission

tjagain

My opinion that is wrong. Its just my opinion and a variety of degrees of wrong depending on the habitat.

Del

Forestry operations would do themselves a big favour by putting up appropriate signage, preferably giving some indication of when they estimate work would be completed (and updating this in the event of delays), than removing said signs when they are out of the area.
    This does sometimes happen but I can also think of signs that have been in place for years. Which ones are currently relevant?
    ‘ah, can’t hear anything, let’s just take a look’.
    That is not to say that people are blameless in ignoring restrictions on access of course.

Tj, what is your view on the ‘curated’ trails you rode on the quantocks a few years ago? 😉

tjagain

Del – to me they just looked and felt like wear paths from usage. NO issues with that. Its the digging of jumps and berms I don’t like. I’ve no issue with maintaining or grooming paths with a mind to bike usage. Indeed I tried really hard to set up in the pentlands doing just that

ndthornton
    Free Member

Rule 1.

Riding man-made trails, okay.
    Riding natural trails, okay.
    (Since this is Scotland I’ll leave out the ‘riding cheeky footpath trails, okay-ish/not-okay-ish’)
    Digging your own trails across someone else’s land without permission, not okay

Whos rule is rule 1?

scotroutes

We did this fairly recently. IIRC TJ, you were against building new trails across “wild” land but did agree that doing so inside commercial forestry was probably acceptable as (a) it’s unattractive, (b) nobody else goes there (c) the land has basically been trashed already. I reckon that’s a fairly good compromise position, yeah?

Pyro

Whos rule is rule 1?

The Rule 1 I alluded to, and as TJ quoted earlier, is “Don’t be a dick”.

It is, or at least should be, universal.

taxi25
    Free Member

The dicks are out on this one 🙁

I don’t get this “digging trails”. I’ve been riding off-road for 30 years and never done or felt the need to.

This is me 100%. Trail centres aside, or ground that you have permission to dig on. Just ride whats in front of you FFS.

NZCol

The TVTA has been established in the tweed valley to help drive adoption and ‘formalisation’ of wild trails, that is, ensure they are built and maintained and negotiate for more building to occur legitimately. It will need all parties to get on board and help with dog days, funds etc but also legitimises the ability to deal with FC and landowners constructively. It’s a really positive move, done with solid intentions by people that care. I would say that but having been through this in NZ I’ve seen what you can do by getting organised and working constructively.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Not every landowner wants to take on a potential multi million pound liability of peoples shit version of a-line.

burko73

Normally liability in the uk rests with the landowner under the occupiers liability act. That’s what the no blame no claim lawyers go for usually and people like the fc are an easy target for them as they are visible and the assumption is that they have loads of cash and will settle out of court for a healthy sum. This is why the fc have to be tighter on dealing with dodgy stuff built on their estate. Fc self insure so there is no cash for payouts. It comes from fc core budget and ,earns something else doesn’t get done.

Interestingly in Northern Ireland there was recently a case where the lawyers identified and went after the builder of a trail/ feature under the construction design and maintenance regs which assumes those building something are competent enough to design, build and maintain something to a standard that it wouldn’t cause harm to those using it. I’m not sure where the went but it was an interesting development in claims relating to injuries or loss where someone has built something on your land.

I’ll try to find out where this ended up. It had potential to impact wild trail builders if they were uninsured and could be identified.

bedmaker

other cases thinking they can do what they like and a disregard for land ownership.

Approx half of Scotland is owned by 500 odd people, mostly non Scots.
    Disregard for ‘ownership’ is percectly healthy imo.

Digging trails is inconsequential really in comparison to the amount of windfarm, grouse moor, and mini hydro roads going in recently.

mark90
    Free Member

So who does responsibility lie with here? The builder? The land owner?

Oh I dunno, maybe the rider? I know that view is from some other utopian world where people take responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming everyone else in the hope of getting a payout and absolving themselves of any responsibility.

Del

you’re assuming the riders are the ones suing/taking action. what if a rider has sickness/critcal illness cover, a mortgage, and a family to feed, and now can’t work? they put in a claim, the insurance company look for someone to offset their expenditure.

mark90
    Free Member

you’re assuming the riders are the ones suing/taking action

No I’m not.

Of course an ambulance chasing lawer isn’t going to go after the injured party. They want someone else (with money) to blame.

The point still stands though that responsibility should rest with the rider IMHO, certainly for unofficial ungraded trails. There is a general trend for people not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions / decisions. If I get injured riding a off piste trail blind that is way above my pay grade that’s not the land owners fault or the builders fault.

There is obviously a responsibility with the owners/builders on formal sanctioned waymarked graded trails to ensure that the trail features are commensurate with the grade. If they are then it’s rider’s responsibility to ride within their own limits.

scotroutes

Just to be 100% clear… the OP referred to an article about Scotland. The Land Reform Act (and subsequent court cases) ensure that the landowners/tennants are not held responsible for every bit of misadventure occurring on their property.

The LRA encourages all land users to “be responsible”. ”

scottfitz
    Free Member

In the area I live most official riding spots would not exist with illegal digging at some point in time.

bigjim

Interesting issue, surprised people think it’s OK to ignore access regs and dig up other people’s land without permission.

Digging trails is inconsequential really in comparison to the amount of windfarm, grouse moor, and mini hydro roads going in recently.

Not true, windfarms and hydro will have an environmental impact assessment carried out over the entire project area, including detailed ecological survey of the entire site. MTBers building trails are unregulated and aren’t likely to be worried about ripping up ground nesting bird habitat, rare plants, “disappearing” a few trees, etc, etc, etc. Grouse moors, I’m not sure many cheeky mtb trails are built on grouse moors, I think you’d have some angry people in range rovers after you if you did that.

Forestry operations would do themselves a big favour by putting up appropriate signage

Assuming you’re being sarcastic, but incase you aren’t, the FC go to huge lengths in the tweed valley to close off and sign even unofficial trails, with online notifications too. Loads of people just knock down the fences and barge through anyway, there’s been a few incidents at inners in the last year or two with mtbers getting inside the danger zone around harvesters after ignoring signage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘DIY trails damaging land and unsafe’ is closed to new replies.