Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DIY seatpost shim
  • st

Anyone done a DIY seatpost shim from 30.9 to 31.6? Or any other sizes for that matter

With it being such a small difference I don’t know of any proper shims available and wonder if a coke can shim would do the job. The seatpost woudn’t be lowered at all and the frame swap won’t happen until after Christmas so it’s not something I can readily experiment with yet.

Ta.

jasonm945
    Free Member
    theblackmount
    Free Member

Depends on whether a Coke can is 0.7 or not 😉

USE and others do them in that size I’m sure…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Coke can shims are great for the 90’s or old hack bikes.

But if its a nice new frame, pay the £5.50 and get a proper shim. It’ll be far worth it in the long run.

weeksy

mate of mine did it out of a bit of brass sheeting… worked well enough.

scruff
    Free Member

Why not get a proper sized seatpost ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Coke can shims are great for the 90’s or old hack bikes.

But if its a nice new frame, pay the £5.50 and get a proper shim. It’ll be far worth it in the long run.

If the coke can is the right thickness then it could be better than a proper shim – cans are made to a stupidly precise thickness, it’s actually really good shim stock…

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Anyone read “Zen and the art?”

It’s a well known fact that you will probably die if your shims are not purchased from an official shim dealer and are not branded with a cool little logo. You have been warned!

Garry_Lager

Rode a bike with a stella can shim for ages – beautiful cannondale CAAD5 frame as well. Worked fine but I guess you need to be lucky with the thickness required.
    It would be a bit of a ballache if you change your saddle height a lot

theblackmount
    Free Member

That’s a good point – I’d rather quaff a Stella than waste money having to pour the Coke down the sink 😉

st

Thanks all. Didn’t expect to be able to get a proper shim so didn’t even bother looking!

It would be to shim a Reverb out so saddle dropping isn’t an issue (and yes I know the RS instruction is not to use a shim on a Reverb)

It seems like I’d end up paying a fair premium to sell my current Reverb and buy a new one of the right size when BFe frames eventually come back into stock at Cotic in the New Year.

Andy-R

bencooper – Member

If the coke can is the right thickness then it could be better than a proper shim – cans are made to a stupidly precise thickness, it’s actually really good shim stock..

Agreed – Coke cans are 0.1mm (.004″)thick. I’ve used them several times to shim from 27.0 to 27.2mm. You can even roll a little lip at the top to hold them in place.

scruff
    Free Member
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DIY seatpost shim’ is closed to new replies.