• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DIY: removing wallpaper has taken some paint. Repaint or "spackling"?
  • nbt

We’re redecorating and have taken down the wallpaper, we’re planning to paint the wall instead. Before we papered we had some work done so part of the wall had a plaster skim, while some of it was untouched. I painted the wall with thinned down paint to seal it before hanging the paper. I just went over the whole wall, both the new plaster and the existing (painted) stuff

Removing the paper has left a few gaps in this paint layer here and there. In some places it’s showing the lilac paint that was already there, in other places it’s down to bare plaster again

If we paint over these gaps it won’t look nice. Mrs NBT popped into our Local Paint Shop and the nice chap there gave her (sold her) a tub of “spackling” to cover said gaps in the paint. As far as I understand it spackling is a filler for holes in the plaster, rather than the paint. Doesn’t sound right to me, but then I’m not a decorator. Any advice?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It fills any holes and is fine if you have a piece of paint missing from the wall.

sobriety
    Free Member

You’re a spackling.

Marin
    Free Member

If the spackling stuff can be sanded should be fine. Put it on with filling knife, sand down with fine sandpaper or used sandpaper so not too abrasize. Do it all the time but normally use filler you have to mix. Never had the pleasure of Spackle.

nbt

Okeydoke, thanks folks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DIY: removing wallpaper has taken some paint. Repaint or "spackling"?’ is closed to new replies.