Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY refurbishment of alloy wheels
  • diz

Has anyone any experience of refurbishing their car/van alloy wheels?

Is it worth doing?
    Do I need special filler, paint and clear or will normal Halfords stuff do the trick?

Any advice appreciated thanks Diz.

LoCo
    Free Member

Had my wheels done for £60 each, fully blasted, powder coated & balanced with a new valve, unless you’ve got the tools to hand I’d get a pro to do it as not silly exspensive.

nealglover
    Free Member

CAS Coatings in Bradford charge £1 per inch per wheel.

So a set of 4 17″ alloys would cost £68.

That’s for Blasting and Powder coating. and they do a fantastic job too.

At that price, it’s not worth bothering yourself.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Only thing is at places like CAS Coatings, you need to supply bare wheels and get the tyres refitted/balanced afterwards. Dirt cheap though and they do a good job.

globalti
    Free Member

I did it with a rattle can of lacquer and within one winter the lacquer had let moisture though and the patches I polished had gone all dark and crumbly.

DrP

Don’t let globalti do your wheels,seems the consensus….!

DrP

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just had mine done for £250. Included acid dip, (crushed shell) blasting, priming, baking, spraying, baking (again) – can’t remember if they’re lacquered!
    Chap has the car 3 days and obviously does all the tyre removal, refitting and balancing – you also get a courtesy car.
    Brilliant job and they look like new (and guaranteed). He uses paint not powder he says there’s little between the two and has not had a problem in 15 years of using paint.

withersea
    Free Member

Will a refurbishment stop them loosing air?Mine are corroded and loose around 3 psi per month in winter and less in summer

bedmaker

I did my own once years ago. I wouldn’t do it again unless I was unemployed.

andyfla
    Free Member

Will a refurbishment stop them loosing air?Mine are corroded and loose around 3 psi per month in winter and less in summer

Probably, a good friend had his done for this reason – been ace ever since

hot_fiat

DIY is a miserable, time-consuming and ultimately expensive experience. I’m very definitely in the +another for CAS coatings camp. They charge from £1 per inch of wheel (+vat). They won’t take anything other than loose wheels though, so reckon on at least £10 per wheel for removal, refit and balance wherever you are. Also be aware that they won’t attempt to balance the stripped wheel, nor will they do any straightening or welding work.

wingnuts

Sharkbait, where did you get it done?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY refurbishment of alloy wheels’ is closed to new replies.