Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • DIY Question – Skirting Boards?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Do I screw them on or use no-more-nails?

Builder recommends no-more-nails. I think that sounds a bit shoddy, but it is definitely quicker and would be neat. and can’t think of a reason that I would want to remove them. So am tempted….

What do people think?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It depends.

If your wall isnt perfectly straight no more nails will not work. If it is comepletly straight then no reason why you cant, except if you ever need to take it off it might pull half the wall away…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Traditionally nails are used, worked for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Size skirting?

Lengths?

Mitres?

What’s the wall? Stud? Plasterboard? Brick?

Rio

I believe traditionally they’re nailed in, but I’ve used gap-filling adhesive and they seem to be fine. It also allows you to keep the skirting board reasonably flat when the wall isn’t.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Nails, but then none of our walls are dead straight. Stating the obvious, if you are nailing into plasterboard walls, make sure you hit the studs

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

It’s allplasterboartd and plaster wall. longest length is about 2.5m, will mitre it and skirting is 150mm wide.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

These buggers

Buggers because I had to try to pull some out last week.

Pic was found here, which could be useful: http://www.home-dzine.co.za/home-Improvement/improve-replace-skirting.htm

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s allplasterboartd and plaster wall

So plasterboard onto stud? i.e. is it hollow when you tap it?

Stoner
    Free Member

lashings of gripfill and a nail gun. that’ll keep those f****** there!

🙂

wwaswas

stud+plasterboard shoudl be ok with no more nails as they’re pretty flat and you don’t need to worry about hitting studs/pipes/wires.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

lashings of gripfill and a nail gun. that’ll keep those f****** there!

Tut!

Actually, if you can borrow a nail gun, then yep, a few (just a few mind) dabs of gripfill and nail into the studs. Studs will be ~400 mm centres. If you use too much gripfill onto plasterboard, and they ever need to come off, half the plasterboard will come away with them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If your wall isnt perfectly straight no more nails will not work.

Yes it will. And it fills the small imperfection gaps you can see from the top at the same time. I cut ours to size, painted them, then stuck them to the (Already painted) wall and ran a bead of the adhesive along the top to neaten it up. It’s so crisp and neat it looks like a pro job, if not better…. 🙂

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

yeah plasterboard on stud.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Builder recommends no-more-nails.

Hahaha……..”No more Nails” is for DIYers, girls, and gay men 😀

Proper geezers use Gripfill………what Stoner said.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

yeah plasterboard on stud.

Nails (gun or lost heads) into the studs, gripfill too if you want – no need for screws.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are the skirtings softwood or pre-primed mdf?

If pre-primed mdf, you might find that gripfill alone will do the job – might leave some large gaps at the top though – which you will then fill with caulk, which will then crack as it dries if the gaps are large.

If it’s softwood, make sure and prime the back of the boards before you put it on. And use knot solution!! Otherwise you’ll have little yellow circles where the knots are in a few years.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Proper geezers use Gripfill

Make sure you get the size gripfill tube to fit the gun you have.

Stoner
    Free Member

dd/ee do either of you know of a very good quality caulk that wont crack. I havent yet caulked the skirting/architrave in the barn because from experience find all the caulks Ive tried eventually sink and crack looking worse than the small even gap that would be there without it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Gripfill only comes in Man Size.

Stoner
    Free Member

*sniff sniff” gripfill highs… mmmmmmmm *sniff sniff*

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t know caulk could crack 😕 But then I’m not a decorator.

Get Painters Mate

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are better makes – I’ll have a look in the van in a bit – just can’t remember the manufacturer.

On the sinking thing, there is a solution (of sorts). Do you have a foam gun? i.e. expanding foam cartridges with a gun that’s removable? If so, you can set it to a very small flow and fill the gap to just below the top of the skirting. Wait for it to cure and then caulk. Gives the caulk less room to sink.

If you’re not experienced using foam, then have some of those citrus wipes handy for accidents…clean up straight away. If you don’t have wipes and mess up, let the foam go off before removing 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’re not experienced using foam

You kidding? I’ve got load-bearing foam in this barn 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

will have a go at painter’s mate. Havent tried that one before.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve got load-bearing foam in this barn

I’ve become convinced that half of the UK is held together with foam. It is indeed magnificent stuff.

Stoner
    Free Member

could you imagine what an accident in the foam factory would look like though 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

i was in DIY shop when a guy complained that the spray foam had blocked his sink as when he had finished doing what he needed he got rid of it by emptying it down the sink 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

an accident in the foam factory

I pushed a table saw a little too far in the back of my old work estate. Heard a horrible hissing sound – I’d punctured a can of foam. I had one of those sit-com moments where I’m running around holding this thing in the air spraying foam everywhere. It was not pretty.

5lab

slight hijack – but how do those of you using nails in masonry walls get the buggers to go in? when I try to do it they’ve destroyed a chunk of 80-year-old plaster then stopped dead when they hit some brick, bending when you whack them.

Sadly, gripfill doesn’t work for me cos my walls are too bendy (once stuck they’re fine but holding them on in the interim is a bugger). I use rawlplugs and screws now, then touch the heads in with some calk

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but how do those of you using nails in masonry walls get the buggers to go in

I’ve had to use them a few times – I hate them. Depends on the bricks really – and they’re expensive.

aP
    Free Member

Time for a builder’s foam baldy haircut? An old friend of mine builder’s foamed a new window above the porch and was happily foaming away until his wife turned up and started hitting him with a metal rule – he had a wonderfull frozen waterfall out through the gaps and down the fron of the house. Took him ages to cut it away.

I think the preferred way for the sophisticated gentleman to stop cracks showing is using shadow gaps…

Stoner
    Free Member

crappy old brick and plaster and you might as well just shoot at the wall. Explosions of brick flakes and gypsum everywhere. I hate masonry nails.

Once had to put a short run of skirting on a very bendy wall in an alcove in the old house. Gripfill and screws, and a length of 2×1 as a wedged prop from the other side of the alcove. All went in fine setting until I took the prop out and *bang!* the skirting bounced off the wall bringing everything with it 🙂

So I mitred the skirting in shorter lengths and just followed the wonk 😉

wwaswas

those frame fixing things where you drill a hole through the skirting and into the wall then hammer the rawlplug and nail through in one go are great on older walls (as is using skirtign board 2 inches taller than what came off so that it hides the ragged edge made by removing the old boards). You do have to fill the heads afterwards, though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

how do those of you using nails in masonry walls get the buggers to go in?

Use masonry nails ? Careful though, because they don’t bend it can make them rather dangerous. If hit at the wrong angle they can be sent spinning into your face, so wear goggles. They also tend to split timber, so if you are fixing one near an edge, drill a pilot hole first.

gripfill doesn’t work for me cos my walls are too bendy (once stuck they’re fine but holding them on in the interim is a bugger).

Temporarily spike some nails on just to hold in position and then pull them out later. Or if you have a timber floor, temporarily fix off-cuts to the floor to hold the skirting against the wall. Or just drill plug and screw.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So I mitred the skirting in shorter lengths and just followed the wonk

The answer is to do a series of saw cuts half way through the skirting, that will make it very bendy. Either on the front of the skirting if the wall is curving inwards, or the back of the skirting if it’s curving the other way.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think you probably misunderstood him, he actually said:

“No, more nails”

Stoner
    Free Member

tried that one once Ernie. Didnt really work very well and didnt have the patience to stick with it. Proper bodgin’

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK fair enough. What did you do, a series of bastard mitres ? Did you “bisect the angles” ? Or just slap a load of filler in the gaps ? 😀

5lab

i’ve got one of those angle finder tools

sadly, I don’t have the ability to cut skirting at that exact an angle, so I normally do it to the nearest 45 degs and just calk the gap 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘DIY Question – Skirting Boards?’ is closed to new replies.