Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DIY people
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Anyone know of a good DIY forum or on-line resource.

I know here is very good, but I don’t want to kept asking questions that have been asked before.

That said, there was a good bathroom floor tiling thread a while back…. can anyone post a link to it please (I’ve spent the last hour trying to find it). …. Oh and there was a Towel radiator thread that caught my eye.

Guess I should make more of an effort in saving threads that may be of use at a later date…. ( I’d seen both of these before I moved into my new place… now I ripped the bathroom out I can’t find them… grrr)

Thanks Gents

wwaswas

google search is often better than the stw one. Type singletrackworld.com: *search term*

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Wwaswas …. you the man…found what I was looking for straight way … thanks vmuch

Dooosuk… Thanks will have a look at the Diynot

senorj

I used to use Ask the trades .com……

hooli

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/index.php

Very helpful people, most of them in a trade and like helping out.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Cheers Gents

IA

I should make more of an effort in saving threads that may be of use at a later date…

Look at instapaper.com, great service/app.

Add a bookmarklet to your browser bookmarks toolbar, then when you read a page (on any device) you want to save or read later hit the button and bosh, saved, and you can access from any device.

stumpy01

You do know that you can add threads to your favourites for referencing later. Took me a while to realise and start using that.

freeagent
    Free Member

I my experience the DIY forums can be full of tin-pot tradesmen who insist you’ll die if you change a plug socket facia yourself, + a lot of armchair experts who’ve probably never done anything more complicated than painting..

I guess the same could be said for most forums, on most subjects.

The Landrover forum I used to use featured a bloke who gave out mechanical advice daily, and then ended up in jail after the death trap he was driving ended up in a river and killed 4 of his kids.

footflaps

The Landrover forum I used to use featured a bloke who gave out mechanical advice daily, and then ended up in jail after the death trap he was driving ended up in a river and killed 4 of his kids.

I can see how. Eg if someone asked how to change a light fitting, I’d give out advice saying switch off the mains, however I can’t be bothered resetting all the clocks etc, so would just do it live and accept a few shocks as part of the process.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Collins Complete DIY Manual is good for info, FWIW.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Another vote for the Collins, very handy book to have.

I remember reading about that guy with the Land Rover…

garage-dweller

And another vote for Collins
    If I want a specific answer I can’t find offline I tend to put whatever the job is into Google as a question or You Tube and look at the results.

For example:

How to make a guide for circular saw.

Rarely have to click more than a couple of options to find something sensible

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Collins Complete DIY Manual

Readers Digest DIY manual, also very good.

Take the forum advice (diynot, ultimatehandyman) with a pinch of salt.

Generally speaking, if it doesn’t hold the house up, contain water or electrics (or both), then dive in and have a go.

footflaps

Readers Digest

Do they still exist?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I think so.

Loads of “few years old” copies on fleabay, which is where mine came from.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Electrician here. Happy to answer questions if you’ve got them. Email is in my profile.

Rich.

sharkbait
    Free Member

google search is often 100% always better than the stw one.

The STW search facility is painful. I now have a shortcut setup for google to do the searching for me…. mucho better.

So OP here you go

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DIY people’ is closed to new replies.