Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY – Masking tape for painting?
  • Garry_Lager

I’ve just finished a decent shift painting all the door / window frames in my kitchen. Using masking tape, I ripped it off at the end expecting Euclidean straight lines of paint, and it looks like shit. The paint got under the tape all over the shop and there’s wobbly paint blobs left right and centre. The wife reckons masking tape is for tossers and the professionals would freehand something like a door frame – Is she right, or did I just not put the tape on carefully enough?

druidh
    Free Member

If the paint got under the tape, then you’ve not stuck it down well enough. Also – before removing the tape, you should run along the edge of it with a sharp knife or razor blade.

Having said that, I tend to freehand it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

She is right – a big brush with a sharp edge – big brush so you can do one edge in one go.

YOu maybe didn’t press the tape down hard enough. Never mid – scrape the excess off with a sharp blade

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marcus7
    Free Member

“tape is for tossers” i like that and will attempt to use it myself in general conversation!, I know what you mean though, and in my experience its not the best unless you are using it on a really smooth stable surface. also some cheaper tapes bleed really easily and you should take them off really quickly after youve painted. There are also several grades of tape which can are supposed to be left on for certain amounts of time. BUT iv’e gone free hand and use decorators wipes or similar if it goes pear shaped, seems easier, cleaner and quicker (well for me anyway)

Garry_Lager

Thks, she’s usually right. It took ages to masking tape it in the **** first place, as well. Next time I’ll just freehand it with a wipe to hand.

jonb
    Free Member

Masking tape does work. Use it at work when freehand with a brush isn’t an option as I make/use solvent free 2 pack epoxies applied by airless sray. Just make sure you stick it down,

marcus7
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong tape does work but in my experience if you put too much pressure on then you run the risk of pulling off what you’ve taped to or ragging the tape or even leaving adhesive residues. Its like anything, with experience your results improve and what ever method you employ will work out (i just cant use the tape for tossers line at work tomorrow!).

Spongebob
    Free Member

Long haired 2″ brush with fine tip and a steady hand! Masking tape is a waste of time frankly. You won’t get a good edge and run the risk of pulling paper and paint off when you remove it. It takes ages to apply too.

Have in your other hand, a white spirit dampened rag for “accidents”. Sometimes if you wrap it round the tip of a flat blade screwdriver, you can just take off the ofending paint and not the good bits.

Have some of both paints and go and retouch any bad bits after the paint has dried.

Practice!

samuri
    Free Member

From what i’ve seen, professionals use masking tape all the time, even when painting vehicles which demands far more precise lines than domestic. I think you just need to press it down really hard and rip it off expertly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY – Masking tape for painting?’ is closed to new replies.