Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY lights – best driver?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I have a couple of LEDs and lenses lying around for tinkering with over the winter. Is the b3flex still a good bet for running them? I think that is what Trout used in his. The drivers works out about £25 each, which does seem a bit steep (LEDs were only £4, lens £2). The LEDs want 1500mA, and it would be nice to have all the functionality of the bflex.
    Cheers

trout
    Free Member

Mowgli

there are cheaper drivers on the market but the Taskled Flexs are the dogs do da`s for sure.

depending on what battery voltage you want to run off

2 leds in series off a 7.4 volt battery then an Lflex would be the driver

your 2 leds in series but off a > 9 volt battery the the B3flex would be good or even the B2flex
    I do have all three drivers in stock

the B2flex will do your 1500 ma leds the full juice while the B3flex will go up to 3 amps

Mowgli
    Free Member

Hi Trout,
    The LEDs I have actually have four XP-G (or XP-E?) each (I want to make two lights), and my battery is 14.8V. How much for the different drivers? Is the B2flex any cheaper than B3flex?
    Cheers

edit: these bad boys http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-LEDs-Cree/CREE-Solutions/4-x-CREE-XP-G-R5-on-23mm-star-PCB-LT-1852_120_117.html

trout
    Free Member

The B2flex is just the job for your set up
    however as your battery drops in voltage the driver will go out of regulation and the leds dim a little and you wont have all the light levels available .

this is not a bad thing you could look on it a a reserve tank
    no harm will come to the lights .

yes will do the B2flex for £20 each

RustyMac

Mowgli

If you are only wanting basic control of off, mid, high then i got a buck driver from blackcattech’s ebay page, i can’t find it just now but trout will know who i mean and may be able to pass on contact details. I was used a year or so back in a Lumicycle halogen to LED conversion. They are cheaper controllers if you can get hold of them but also lack some of the fancy programmable functions the TaskLED boards have.

Speshpaul

Troutie
    do you have any of those LED drop ins left for the Lumi halogen units?
    Cheers
    paul

Mowgli
    Free Member

Trout, is your email still the blueyonder one? You have mail.

trout
    Free Member

Yes same email Gareth and you have a reply 🙂

Speshpaul I have some of the heatsinks plus some triple led boards
    non of the optics though can get some when i get home from hols end of sept.

yetidave
    Free Member

#slight hijack#

trout, if you have any more lumicycle conversion stuff, i would be very interested. Found an old halogen lumicycle light in a box the other night – thinking of superchargin it…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY lights – best driver?’ is closed to new replies.