Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DIY Installing freesat dish?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

How difficult is it to install and align a freesat dish?

Is it doable by looking where everyone else’s sky dish points, aiming roughly that way then tweeking it by using the signal meter on the freesat box?

Or is it a ‘get a man in’ type job?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Get a signal meter.

Signal meter on Ebay £8

It’s very hard to align without one. The tiniest tweak makes a difference.

sweepy
    Free Member

Get a satellite finder and have a go. Posh caravanners seem to do it no bother every time they arrive on site.

matt_outandabout

I did it with an uber cheap signal ‘squeaker’ that came with my dish. It means you can be up the ladder, get it roughly aligned and then spend 10 mins (and it is a faff…) adjusting it by a half degree or so each way, just listening to the sound, rather than someone indoors going ‘yes, no, errr, don’t know).

Use this for basic information as well – I used compass (one of mine has inclinometer too) to set it.
    http://www.dishpointer.com/

It has been loaned out to lots of folk as it is useful if a dish ever moves.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Cool, will have a go then.

Anything specific I need to look for when buying a dish? Seems to be a world of different nonesense out there. I know I want a quad LNB so that I can use freesat+, other than that what else? Some say zone 1 some say zone 2?

pk13

Zone 1 /2 is just the size of dish, bigger is a pain to fit but signal can be found in slightly less time . If your recording a quad lnb is needed as is twin feed cable or 2 single cables . As for finding the signal up a ladder in rain with both your hands not holding onto the ladder ….. do you like ladders?

Where are you located.

robdob
    Free Member

You can have my sky dish FOC if you come and collect it! I think it’s a quad one.

cp

Sky zone 1 quad lnb for 17quid new off ebay did the job for me in Sheffield. It has almost max signal strength showing on the humax box it feeds. Along with a squeally inline Sat finder which came with a previous cheap Aldi dish.

welshfarmer

I have on eof the old Sky mesh jobbies mounted to a Maplins motor and it is good for both UK and German satellites (Astra 1 & 2). The dish itself is tiny so I guess any bigger would be overkill if only pointing to the UK satellite (Astra 2?)

stabilizers

Installed my own. Its pretty easy armed with the correct info.
    This site was invaluable Satellites for Caravans. I know its for caravans but these guys know how to set up and align their dish anywhere.

Make sure you buy the correct size of dish for your location. I bought mine off a trader on eBay.
    Refer to the neighbours. What size of dish do they have. Where’s it pointing and what angle.

I used SatFinder app for the iPhone to line it up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DIY Installing freesat dish?’ is closed to new replies.