Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY Help please – Adhesive advice
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Bit of advice needed on a DIY project, needing to cover some kitchen cabinet doors with 3mm Coloured Perspex, looking to glue mount, but didn’t know if there was a correct adhesive that would tolerate temperature and the steam occasionally caused from being in a kitchen, plus one which wouldn’t show bleed marks through the perspex? Cheers in advance.

wwaswas

I used the non-volatile builders silicone (the stuff that doesn’t smell as it cures) to mount some glass splashbacks.

They were painted on the reverse though so although there was nothing visible when they were fitted I’m not sure the same would be true for the perspex and getting an even coat may be tricky with any adhesive?

globalti
    Free Member

Any kind of adhesive will be visible though the Perspex. Can’t you paint it on the back then use silicon?

strawb3110
    Free Member

The plastic is a solid colour (grey) not clear, I believe it may actually be acrylic sheet, not perspex, sorry guys!

kayak23

If it’s a solid colour then silicone as mentioned should be fine. Take the doors off laying them horizontally to fit and let it cure.

I’d probably say spread the goo out, perhaps with a toothed spreading card, then seat the acrylic applying pressure to bed it down and let it cure. Make sure you clean and degrease the old doors thoroughly first obvs.

packer
    Free Member

it may actually be acrylic sheet, not perspex

Same thing – Perspex is a brand name.

andyl
    Free Member

^ packer beat me to it. Polycarbonate is the other material you are probably thinking of.which is often confused with acrylic/perspex.

How about using a pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive sheet or even just double sided tape with an acrylic adhesive? (the former is just adhesive between to backing slips, the latter is a central substrate with adhesive both sides).

Double sided tape will have the best tolerance to a surface texture and be easier to apply. The film can be bought as huge sheets and results in a very thin bond (0.05mm) but can be fragile to handle. Both will be a lot less messy and using a liquid adhesive and a much more even bond thickness. I would suggest contacting Viking tapes with what materials you are bonding as they have a huge range including ones for difficult to bond plastics. It will also be fully removable if needed or permanent if you use a plastic primer that goes with the tapes.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers all for the help and suggestions, will see how I get on this weekend, Bank Holidays are for riding not DIY!!!! 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

I would go with the tape idea or as a second choice the adhesive that they sell in builders merchants such as Jewsons that requires a gun is in a different league to the stuff they sell in B&Q.

nach
    Free Member

Pressure sensitive double sided tape from 3M Direct will run you just over a tenner:
    http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-adhesive-transfer-tape-9605-clear-19mm-x-50m.html

It’s not so much tape as thin adhesive on a carrier strip, and it’ll stick to pretty much anything short of polypropylene (once it’s on it’s on though – no repositioning). If you’re using silicone or any other liquid adhesive, I’d advise roughing up the back of the acrylic but leaving it smooth near the edges.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Will acrylic not scratch very easily?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’d recommend Sikaflex and they do a specific primer for perspex and acrylic. Will be better than silicone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY Help please – Adhesive advice’ is closed to new replies.