Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DIY help – belt sanders?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Live in a very old cottage & it seems the various layers of gloss paint on the L&B doors are probably as old as the house itself. I’m finally summoning up the courage to do something about them.

A heat gun is disgustingly slow progress plus I dread to think of the toxins coming off burning paint thats older than me, a handheld belt sander would be useful for a load of other tasks too, so i’ve started looking for one.

Anyone in the know recommend something mid range? The dross seems to be around the £40 mark, but I want something that isn’t going to be useless, yet I cringe at spending £200+ on some Makita/DeWalt bling.

submarined
    Free Member

Don’t belt sand old ledge doors, you’ll ruin them! Unless you want to remove all the character, in which case you’re best buying some new ones.
    Chemical stripping is the best way, I’ve got one to do myself. It takes a fair few goes, especially if it’s old lead based stuff (which it’s also not a very good idea to sand because of the dust)

Having said that, if you ignore all the above and do want a belt sander, Screwfixes ‘titan’ ones are actually quite good for the money. Mine was about 50 quid and did a sterling job of renovating a ruined stair case. I reckon at least 50 hrs work. It’s also helped in loads of other stuff like building a wardrobe, sanding small bits of floor etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

What you want is a scarsden* scraper.

*off to checkbspelling

tillydog
    Free Member

Take the doors off and get them ‘dipped’, IMHO. Belt sander will clog with paint unless you’ ve got a really coarse belt (which would make a mess of your doors in no time flat).

maccruiskeen

I dread to think of the toxins coming off

So the answer is to turn those toxins into fine dust and fling it all around the house – that’ll sort it. 🙂

You’re right to be concerned if the paint is old – in the uk we were still putting lead in paint up to til the 1980s so stuff doesn’t need to be all that old. Get a lead testing kit if you’re stripping it yourself so you know what you’re dealing with – but sanding it isn’t the way to deal with it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I was planning on taking the doors off & going outside with them.

New isn’t really an option – 400yr old house = everything is unique in sizing so will end up costing me £££, especially if I want them made in oak.

I’m imagining there is lead & all sorts in there – the house was unoccupied for nearly 30 years before we decided to make silly decision & buy it 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DIY help – belt sanders?’ is closed to new replies.