Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • DIY help
  • jools182
    Free Member

I’m slowly renovating the house I moved into last year, but I’m not sure what to do with a couple of things

Firstly there’s the electricity meter and fuse box, which is right by the front door

The stop tap is also there (yes I know, safety first). I’ve got a water filter fitted as the chlorine affects my skin badly. I need to box it all in somehow to make it neater. I was thinking about turning the bracket for the water filter upside down to give me a bit more room under the window

Any ideas?

jools182
    Free Member

Here’s the second problem. How to run the skirting boards around the step at the top of the stairs

globalti
    Free Member

Bad news: chlorine is a dissolved chemical and filtration won’t remove it. Filtration removes particles of dirt though.

Do you wash and shower with soap or a detergent-based shower gel?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you a chemist globalti?

Flaperon

Thought the filters contain a potassium compound which reacts with the chlorine in the water?

jools182
    Free Member

It’s a chlorine specific filter

Allegedly

One of these

dropoff

Do you have to be aware of bacteria build up within your water system after fitting a de-chlorination filter ?

Murray

Should be OK if you have copper pipes.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Do you want/need to keep the brickwork by the front door?

Is there enough free cable to turn the lecy board around 90 degrees and fix to the external wall. You could then box it in easier and fit a divider between water and electrics.
    OR
    Build some storage across the wall under the window with separate compartments for the services.

For the skirting:
    Fill the lower section. Straight cut to a 45 degree mitre, vertical section with 45 degree both ends, and then 45 degree mitre back to horizontal.
    OR
    Run the skirting straight across and then add an infill below.

jools182
    Free Member

Isn’t it an expensive job by the electricity board to move the meter or fuse box?

neilwheel
    Free Member

You can move the fittings, ideally just by moving the backboard, to anywhere that the current cable allows. As long as you don’t tamper with the meter and any of the connections or terminals then the supply is as fitted and tested.

The electricity supplier is responsible for everything up to, and including the meter. Any part after this can be worked on by a suitably qualified electrician.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Just out of interest what was the chlorine doing to your skin?

garage-dweller

If it were me I would get a spark in to assess those electrics and the options for putting them onto the exterior wall if necessary by moving the Cl filter and stopcock at the same time.

My rationale would be if you don’t get this sorted in the best way now you may spend years being irritated by it.

wwaswas

For the step, just run a small mitered section vertically and mitre the horizontal bits to meet it.

jools182
    Free Member

Marmaduke- I was itching like crazy after a shower. Arms legs and head.

I started getting spots on my shoulders and upper arms, I was getting lots of sebum plugs on the back of my neck and shoulders, and skin was becoming dry and loose, all within a few months

globalti
    Free Member

Did the filter make a difference?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For the boxing, I think you need to think a bit about re-locating that mater…however, the flooring looks like it’s been fitted around it, so if you relocate it against the wall, you’re left with a pretty ugly infill in your floor…what are you hoping to achieve there?

As for the skirting, rather than what wwaswas is suggesting, might I suggest (depending on the moulding of course) something like this?

If your skirting is anything over 4″, an angled piece running vertically up the wall can look a bit incongruous. So just run the moulding up vertically as shown in the pic.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did the filter make a difference?

Do you understand chemistry globalti?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘DIY help’ is closed to new replies.