Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DIY Fork refurb – what do i need?
  • Euro
    Free Member

Got an old set of unloved U-turn revs that i fancy showing some affection to. I’m handy with a spanner but a bit lazy so never opened a pair of forks before.

They’re battered (decent gouge on one of the stanchions) and need the works inside. They piss oil badly out the other leg. What do i need and is there a one-stop-shop to get them from? The U-turn bit works fine so if it’s possilbe to just clean it up, i’d do that (or is there parts of it that might need replacing?. Will the spring be shot?

Apologies for all the Q’s. Thanks for any A’s

edit: model Rockshox Revelation 426 U-Turn 2007. 85-130

nixie

You should be able to buy a full seal kit. You’ll also need probably 2 different weights of oil, circlip pliers, syringe or measuring jug and lots of rags.

At that age with a scored stanchion probably not worth doing. Suspect they could well be in need of bushings if those have never been done.

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers Nixie. Despite their condition, they actually feel ok to ride about on (i’m not fussy) and i’m confident i can get score with the nail varnish trick. I’m using these as a practice set and aren’t expecting miracles but just want to have a go at everything – bushes too i guess, now I know it has bushes 😳 😆

Oil weights you say, is that dependent on the fork or rider weight or what?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Oil weights are 5w for the damper and 10w for both oil baths and the 5ml into the air chamber (IIRC).

THIS (Rockshox 2007 oil weights chart) should give you some pointers..

nixie

Bushes aren’t so easy to do yourself. They need a press to fit and have to be sized correctly, this is one I’d leave to the pros. You can check for play in the bushes before dismantling, this link describes how to do it (at the bottom), it is for fox forks but process is the same http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/bushing_technology_and_inspection.htm. If they are fine and its just for practise then leave them.

The rest is easy enough. TF sell a lowers service kit that has there lower leg oil and a syringe. You can use motor bike fork oil for cheapness, however if you have other sets to do that use the same weight then mtb branded oil available from various places. LBS can probably order seals, or Loco off here sells them (as do TF and several other websites). If you want to do the works you’ll need the main wiper/oils seals and also dampers seals.

The service manual will be on the RockShox website somewhere which will help. There are also various guides to stripping RS forks down on the web. I think they are all very similar internally.

jairaj

If you’re not too bothered about getting the cheapest price go for the TF tuned kit. Has every thing you need for a lower leg service. New seals, different weight oils, etc …

I think they might also do a kit for a full service too.

Euro
    Free Member

Many thanks. If you see me selling a pair of Uturn Revs in the classifieds, walk away 😀

stoddys
    Free Member

YouTube, I find it invaluable

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DIY Fork refurb – what do i need?’ is closed to new replies.