Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Diy degreaser…top tip / have I done a bad thing?
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Couldn’t find anywhere selling muck off etc on a Sunday morning, so picked up some oven cleaner trigger spray for a quid. Used in clip-on chain cleaner and a quick scrub round the rings and cassette. Rinsed off quickly and kept off paint and plastics as far as possible.

Chain has come up lovely, so much so that I might use it dilute next time. Hope freehub might be bit clickier now.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t know much about the subject but when I was reading about stripping some anodising off some parts oven cleaner was frequently recommend. I had some lying around and tried it but it didn’t even make a mark. The part was hard anodised which could make a difference. I probably wouldnt use it anywhere near the bike but I can’t imagine it doing any damage to a chain.

Phil_H

Oven cleaner may contain caustic soda which isn’t very good for aluminium.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Oven cleaner may contain caustic soda

This was kind of my point….though muc off et al were pretty alkaline?

kayak23

Not sure about oven cleaner, but citrus degreaser is a good cheap alternative to Mucoff when diluted.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Use gunk last ages only need a bit works the best always has.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Elbow Grease – £1 at Semi Chem. Works a treat on bikes and clothes with no ill effect.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Diy degreaser…top tip / have I done a bad thing?’ is closed to new replies.