Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DIY Cable-cam rig… Anyone made one?
  • cookeaa

I was looking at various efforts on the interweb over the weekend and I reckon I’d quite like to try and bodge together my own (Gravity fed) cable-cam rig…

I’ve already made a sort of DIY monopod/pole out of an old handlebar which I reckon oculd be adapted for this with a couple of pulleys…

I’m not too sure what it should run on, Braided Rope tensioned up with a ratchet strap?

So has anyone made such a thing and if so do you have any words of wisdom?

d45yth
    Free Member
    bucketboy
    Free Member

Nice… saved me searching for the link to that post.

cookeaa

Cheers for that, I went through those and some other stuff I found online last night and I’ve ordered a few bits…

The last post on that linked thread was 10 months ago, how have people’s DIY cable-cam’s progressed since?

My initial plan is to make my dolly as light as possible for a couple of simple reasons:
    1- to try and minimise line sagging and bounce, from watching other peoples designs in action the heavier a set-up is the more it looks to rock to and fro and bounce on the line, this will also help when I get a longer (and/or thinner) line
    2-Decelerating/braking the dolly, the lighter it is the easier it is to stop…
    3-

So I’m making it with a 3mm thick Nylon back plate running on 2″ dia grooved pulleys (with bearings), initially it’s going to run on a 9.5mm x 30m braided rope…

In order to arrest it I plan to try and rig a sort of zip line style mini crash brake attached to a bungee and a carabiner in the last meter or two of travel,

And I think I might try and look at how to rig a release pin of some sort so that a riders front wheel can roll over and trigger the dolly (somehow without getting a release line tangled in the rotor)…

I will also need to look at how I tension the line, hopefully if I can keep the payload light, it won’t require lots of line tension…

Of course once you start looking at how you anchor and tension the rope at either end you soon realise 30m isn’t very much line at all, so I’m thinking about sections of my local woods and which might have interesting ~25m sections I might be able to actually shoot with a cable cam…

I think someone mentioned trying 3mm Paracord, which it seems can be had in 100m+ lengths at pretty competitive prices, did anyone try a 100m+ run of paracord or any other thinner cord type line, a lighter line will help with portability, so long as it man enough for the payload…

I’m all excited about this little project for some reason, and I’ve not even looked at motorizing it yet…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DIY Cable-cam rig… Anyone made one?’ is closed to new replies.