Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DIY buffs… making a ceiling for my van
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m making a ceiling for the van, to tidy up the insulation and eventually put some downlighter LEDs in.

What material would you use for the ceiling? I was thinking hardboard covered in headlining, with batterns on the rear for stability.

I did think MDF would be better, as it has less flex – but I’m thinking it’ll just turn into mush if there is any condensation?

The roof has ribs across, which the board will be directly screwed into – but there needs to be holes left for the lights. At the moment I’ve cut smaller pieces to make a template and intend to cut larger pieces to fit.

Any help appreciated 🙂

Ricks

wwaswas

decent quality ply would be my choice – stronger for a given thickness and less affected by moisture.

creamegg
    Free Member

vans are usually lined with plywood. get some WBP (not cheap) if your worried about damp

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Plywood is the thing to use. It’s got enough flex and it is strong enough to withstand the odd ‘dink’

starsh78
    Free Member

ply, followed by thin layer of foam then some lovely suede and a flip down monitor!!!

rickon
    Free Member

Right then 1/4 inch ply? I was assuming it’d add too much weight, but happy to do so if it’s gonna be far better.

The headlining I’ve got had a layer of foam underneath the material 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i used 4mm ply for mine. perfect. haven’t covered it yet though!! ply hold a better arc than hardboard apparently.

psling
    Free Member

ply hold a better arc than hardboard apparently.

Especially if you can source some long grain ply. Surprisingly flexible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DIY buffs… making a ceiling for my van’ is closed to new replies.