Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DIY Advice please – curtain pole bracket…
  • Kryton57

Junior has managed to pull one out of the wall whilst swinging on his curtain. Thing is, it was embedded in plaster surrounding the window frame with a plaster board rawl plug, so theres a rather large cavity.

How to fix it in again and take the weight of the (heavy, blackout) curtain & pole?

Thanks.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Try a spring toggle

matt_outandabout

My experience is that you need a mounting plate/board, attached in deeply, then poles attached into and even through the mounting board.

fossy

I use a wooden batton secured to the wall, then poles mounted to the batton

crankboy
    Free Member

I have had the same problem and gone for the mounting board / batten solution.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Baton for the win

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Fill the hole with polyfilla, make new hole 4 inches along with whatever mounting system you choose

crankboy
    Free Member

Fill the hole with polyfilla, make new hole 4 inches along with whatever mounting system you choose
    My previous solution, which tends to end with, wait a year and repeat.

Kryton57

Thanks so far.

Unfortunately moving the bracket isn’t possible as the edge of the window surround is only 4″ away from the wall. A baton may be the answer, but I have a very low level of DIY ability.

May need a handyman.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You need a different mounting system then!

fossy

A baton is easy. Get a length of timber wider than the window, and screw in to the wall with plaster board plugs (in your case) in about 4-6 places. Then screw the pole to that. Makes life easy in the future when ‘the boss’ decides she want’s new curtain poles. No wall drilling.

zanelad
    Free Member

By a house made from bricks 😀

LadyGresley
    Free Member

The pedant in me has to point out that it’s a batten you want, not a baton that would be used to conduct an orchestra 😀

neilnevill
    Free Member

I stand corrected.

project
    Free Member

May need a handyman.

Ive been called a handyman previously, where do you live near.

May need a handyman.

could also be a quote headline in a tabloid paper regarding that failed and pathetic woman ruining the country at the present time.

cinnamon_girl

Be aware that a batten could mean your rail would protrude thus inviting the dreaded morning light.

I’ve resorted to a super-duper blackout eye shade that covers most of my face.

matt_outandabout

We have curtains over blackout blinds for full 8) 8) 8) effect.

rene59
    Free Member

A baton may be the answer, but I have a very low level of DIY ability.

Just paint your windows then. I can’t believe that a grown adult with all the resources available to them these days can’t figure out how to attach a simple piece of wood to a wall.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DIY Advice please – curtain pole bracket…’ is closed to new replies.